Responsible for planning, managing and overseeing the execution of external and internal communications within Canada. The role is designed to support corporate objectives, increase visibility, and enhance the company’s image and reputation with business, industry, and trade media and stakeholders.
Develop strategy and execute a range of activities including:
- proactive and reactive media relations
- issues and crisis communications
- support for government relations and legal activities
- speech writing
- logistics and coordination related to executive speaking opportunities
- support for product, innovation and marketing programs
- employee and client communication initiatives
- development of press releases, facts sheets, key messages, executive briefing documents, web content and other collateral materials
- general executive support
Responsible for monitoring industry news, understanding the nuances of the political and regulatory landscape, identifying emerging issues, and developing and maintaining relationships with media and other external groups. This individual will serve as a media spokesperson.
Serve as an internal consultant to company president and team. This position will also work closely with Government Relations and Legal functions.
This position will manage one staff position, agency resources/contractors.
• Quickly gain understanding and build subject matter expertise on company business.
• Work with global communications team to develop communications strategies for advancing reputation and business goals, support corporate priorities and handle special projects.
• Align communications activities and strategy to business plans and emerging issues, setting and selling-in communications strategies.
• Support government relations and legal objectives
• Provide leadership and operational management to one team member and external communications agencies. Assist this team with prioritization, program development, execution, internal partner relationship management, integration and collaboration, workload management and achievement of communications objectives.
• Continue to drive the department’s effectiveness as internal consultants to the business, integrate activities across departmental and corporate priority teams, and enhance the delivery of key messages to external audiences.
• Provide results-oriented communications support for product, innovation and marketing efforts (regionally and/or globally).
• Lead product, innovation and marketing communications efforts through proactive and reactive media relations activities, executive visibility support, and development/execution of programs to raise awareness and drive usage of products.
• Develop and execute Canada-specific and/or global programs to support products and services, influencing the behavior of clients.
• Manage product/innovation communications plans.
• Create documents in support of ongoing writing activities across the product, innovation and marketing communications teams
• Integrate communications initiatives across product, innovation and brand marketing to maximize efficiencies and ensure consistent, comprehensive communications.
• Build and maintain strong working relationships with internal partners.
• Develop and drive the execution of media relations activities. Lead complex media relations efforts including strategic development, story pitching, fact checking, reporter targeting and analyzing team results.
• Employ social media/digital media strategies to advance communication goals and support core media relations activities.
• Create documents in support of ongoing writing activities across the media relations team.
• Lead ongoing Canada-specific strategic communications activities.
• Build and maintain on-going relationships with internal and external parties.
• Work with the global communications team to develop, implement and manage integrated internal communications programs to engage, align and motivate employees toward high performance and delivery against business goals.
• Assist the team with the development and delivery of employee communications linked to corporate, functional and/or regional initiatives (e.g. global Product and Marketing campaigns and initiatives)
• Support client communication goals in conjunction with team.
• Bachelor’s Degree; minimum 12-15 years’ experience in public relations, with agency experience highly preferred.
• Government relations, public affairs and stakeholder management considered a key asset.
• Financial services experience.
• Demonstrated ability in executing complex communications programs with an emphasis on reputation, issues management and crisis communications.
• Proven expertise in drafting and editing communications materials.
• Experience building effective new media and social media campaigns.
• Ability to develop creative solutions to public relations issues.
• Proven experience in multi-faceted program/project management, decision-making, and driving results in cross-functional and/or cross-regional teams.
• Extensive media relations experience and established contacts in business/banking and/or technology media.
• Ability to achieve results in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, often on short deadlines.
• Experience managing business issues and navigating/synthesizing various viewpoints.
• Capability in managing budgets and procurement processes.
• Ability to provide high-level counsel to business and senior leadership.
• Prior experience working in a global matrixed organization would be helpful.