Can you hear the heartbeat of a great team and turn it into an inspiring story? Are you a skilled communicator who connects the dots between customer insights and compelling products? Do you love what’s happening today at the intersection where tech and design meet? Are you well-networked in the Seattle creative/design/arts community?
Our client’s team has created a special role working closely with the CVP of Design and his leadership team. We’re looking for someone who can confidently amplify the CVP’s voice inside and outside the company, and also help build a healthy culture across the teams that report to him. This is a hybrid role, requiring an aptitude for internal communications and external PR. You'll get to write, organize events, and represent these groundbreaking teams as you work with a variety of leaders across the company.
Our client thinks writers, designers, and researchers have unique strengths within a corporate culture that is historically very technical. With that corporate culture rapidly changing, the CVP and his leadership team have worked hard to strengthen the voices of designers and writers and build a culture where all creators are celebrated—whether designing hardware, drafting video scripts, writing code, crafting research studies, or creating new, innovative experiences customers will love. We believe in the power of storytelling along the way. The person in this role will work with leaders to craft the stories of this creative culture and nurture its expression across the organization.
Here's some of the responsibilities and activities this person will oversee:
1. Manage the cadence for CVP internal communications, protecting confidentiality while promoting transparency
2. Articulate the team’s vision — where they're going and why, and the focus in upcoming releases
3. Help the team grow culturally. What fun events bring us together and support our values as a team?
4. Help the legal team (LT) listen. Conduct surveys or open other channels with the team that inform how we do things
5. Help the team grow vocationally, partnering with HR to execute curriculum that helps designers, writers, and researchers grow in their disciplines
1. Manage the year-long calendar for CVP and LT for external events, pushing industry reach and amplifying the team’s priorities
2. Work with CVP, LT, corporate PR, and external partners to prepare for public events across the design and tech industry
3. Work closely with PR for paid media and corporate events where executives appear
We’re looking for someone who:
· Moves between cultures swiftly and gracefully. You’ll work with external industry leaders in design, content, and research; Microsoft technical leadership; and a variety of product teams, sometimes all in one day.
· Can identify an audience and learn to speak its language, or figure out how. Listening, hearing feedback, and incorporating that into strategy is a big part of this role.
· Can pivot quickly when needed. The pace here is fast. You don’t have to know all of the answers, but we want you to be curious and fearlessness when it comes to jumping into new things.
· Has some familiarity with design thinking and methods. Designers work in iterative ways, so you’ll need to draft often, work with people well, and experiment to learn.
· Can be a ghost writer for the CVP and other leaders on the team. Our CVP loves to communicate in a lively, open fashion. You’ll need to deeply understand and help amplify his specific way of writing and speaking.
· Is comfortable working with product teams. Part of this role is synthesizing what product teams are doing, connecting the dots, and representing them accurately in communications.
· Possesses good judgement. You will have access to confidential information because you are working closely with senior executives. You need to relay sensitive topics confidently and in a trustworthy manner, with the highest confidentiality internally and externally.
Experiences and Qualifications:
· BA/BS, preferably in journalism, PR, communications, English, or marketing
· 4+ years of communications, journalism, public relations, or exec communications experience required
· Well-networked and connected to the design/arts communities in the Greater Seattle Area.
· Knowledge of design and tech trends and experience working with technology, business, and mainstream media
· Deep understanding of social media management tools and platforms
· Admirable writing skills with attention to detail
· Ability to collaborate and lead cross-functionally with different creative resources
· Experience with and passion for strong storytelling