Title: Consumer Insights Manager
A large retailer in SF is looking for a consumer insights guru to be a contractor on the consumer insight team through the end of the year (with a possibility of extending to a longer-term situation).
The role in a nutshell
Over the course of your contract, you would lead multiple primary research projects – mostly qualitative, but potentially quantitative– simultaneously and impeccably, with minimal oversight.
Who we’re looking for
Given our immediate needs, we’ll need you to come out of the gate running on the following:
1. “Own” multiple research projects
o You need to be able to keep your projects on track with minimal oversight (with a pre-determined research agenda and methodology)
o Attend fielding to manage moderator and stakeholders.
o Process data quickly, make the right changes on the fly, and manage the “back room” to make sure the moderator is on-track and stakeholders are getting what they need.
2. Generate true insights from lots of data
o You need to get to the true insights quickly and “so-what’s” in data (we do NOT report out nice-to-know data just because we have it)
o With guidance, you should be able to develop business recommendations that are grounded in business realities and priorities
o Ideally you will also be able to write executive read-outs extremely quickly (within days – or hours – of end of field)
3. Be “client-ready” (i.e., strong interpersonal skills, presence, and ability to direct conversations with VP+ business partners)
o We do a lot of cross-functional work here, and you need to gather your inputs – opinions, product samples, marketing copy, etc. – from multiple people with ease and grace
• Work with stakeholders to define and prioritize objectives, and develop a corresponding methodology that is both creative and “right”
• Ability to direct the analysis of quantitative data – from dataset to analysis to executive-level presentation
• Exposure working on a broad range of business challenges, particularly product- or marketing-related
• Experience conducting in-home and in-store research
• Experience or personal interest in retail/apparel
• Client-side experience
• Exceptional organizational and time management/prioritization skills
• Adept in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• 2+ years of experience specifically conducting and managing primary market research
The dollars are in the details…and here they are! You must:
• Work on-site at our office in San Francisco (Mission Bay)
• Be available to work through January 15th, with breaks for Thanksgiving and December holidays (possible to extend)
• Be willing to travel within US for research fielding (~0-2 weeks/month)
The team and our culture
The role is within the Business Strategy & Consumer Insights team. At heart, we are a group of down-to-earth nerds who really like working together. We are a lean and mean team that is excellence-driven and innovation-focused. We work very hard to impact the business every day in powerful and meaningful ways. So, to fit into the group, you will be:
o Friendly and engaging and hopefully fun to be around!
o SUPER nimble and able to operate with incomplete/imperfect information – we move quickly here and need someone who can keep up!
o Not a “typical researcher” – thrive in a culture that:
Doesn’t take weeks to share results – our turnaround of “the answer” is often days (or even hours!) from close of field
Is always looking for new ways to impact the business – we are constantly exploring and evaluating new ideas
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs
Title: Consumer Insights Manager