The Associate Category Merchant is responsible for managing a product line or group of product lines for sales and margin. This includes Contract selling and training team engagement, assortment planning, merchandise and vendor selection, negotiation, financial planning, advertising plans, merchandise presentation, distribution, vendor relations and administration for assigned lines. With guidance from manager, develops and executes strategies for driving sales and margin, and competitive differentiation.
• Be responsible for launching and growing the Tech Services and Warranties business. Manage the P&L’s for these categories in this channel.
• With assistance from Category Merchant, develop a realistic and effective business plan for each service line to achieve budgeted goals in sales, margin, and more.
• Be accountable for all components of running these businesses: Contract team engagement, Contract training team engagement, assortment planning, vendor selection and management, contract negotiation, costing, pricing, execution / implementation, marketing plan development and associate / rep training.
• Drive development and execution of plan with a variety of functional areas, such as selling path, marketing, ecommerce, learning & development, and sales.
• With direction from Category Merchant, interpret financial and other data to understand current and historic trends. Identify exceptions and seek additional information when data discrepancies are found. Use data to plan future initiatives.
• Stay abreast of market trends, customer needs, and competitive activities.
• Bachelors degree
• Minimum of 3 years total experience B2B environment (Sales, Sales administration).
• Minimum of 3 years total experience in buying related functions (Buying-Merchandising, Planning & Inventory management).
• Ability to drive sales and margin results.
• Experience in B2B environment required.
• Merchandising experience preferred;
• Strong analytical skills.
• Ability to build partnerships internally and externally. Experience influencing cross-functional teams and building relationships across a wide variety of functions.
• Influencing skills, verbal and written communication skills, experience and proven track record influencing and working with cross-functional support teams.
• General knowledge of technology trends, assortment planning, customer buying patterns, marketing and merchandising techniques.
• Knowledge and understanding of metrics, financial analysis, and forecasting.
• Negotiation skills.
• Good Excel and PowerPoint skills.
• Go-getter. Proven ability to work independently and with ambiguity.
• Drive to create innovative ideas when faced with roadblocks.
• Proven ability to move quickly and accomplish goals.