- Redmond, WA
- Job Terms:
- Start date:
- Posted By:
- Kallie Boruff Emanuel
Web Experience Collective (WXC) is a design and research team working on the forefront of new experiences for our customers in search, maps, advertising, and news. We collaborate in a customer-driven environment where our decisions are grounded in responsible design, creating experiences that make the web a better place for every person and organization on the planet to achieve more. If you’re passionate about technology, have a knack for creative ideas, and lead with a growth mindset, we want to hear from you.
We are looking for a cartographer/designer to style and improve multiple mapping products, working closely with the Lead Cartographer to design & implement basemap features using map editors and design tools like Figma.
- Work closely with a cartographic team to create and improve basemap features for a variety of Maps & Directions experiences across platforms – desktop native, web, and mobile.
- Define & implement styles and rules for the basemaps to provide effective geospatial information and to support a variety of map-based experiences across platforms.
- Support the mapping needs of multiple high-volume, map-based products like driving directions, traffic maps, location searches, and others.
- Work with other design teams on shared ideas to build cohesive experience on all mapping surfaces.
The candidate must have strong cartographic and visual design skills. They would be reporting to the Spatial UX cartographic lead and working closely with designers, program managers and engineers. This candidate would perform aspects of the following: design and style geographic representations, design interaction flow and "look and feel" of features across desktop, mobile, and tablets. Design cartographic and visual concepts referencing our visual system and interface guidelines and collaborate with the Spatial UX team and our mapping partners.
- 3-5+ years of cartography, digital mapping and maps-UI-related experience.
- Effective at all aspects of digital cartography: color, typography, feature styling, labeling, zoom-level design, etc.
- Experience with a variety of mapping/GIS software like QGIS, ArcGIS, Mapbox Studio, Maputnik, etc.
- Proficiency in design software like Figma, Sketch, Adobe XD, Illustrator, Axure, etc, . We use Figma, which can be learned quickly if you have experience with other design tools.
- Excellent communication and project management skills.
- Have a good understanding of UX (user experience, web, and mobile interaction patterns) and strong visual/UI design skills.
- Experience with OpenStreetMap data.
- Experience with data visualization is a plus.
- Experience user research and testing is a plus.
- Proficiency in web technologies like HTML and CSS is a plus.
- Bachelor's degree in Cartography, GIS, Geoscience, Spatial Data, Communication Design, HCI, Design or related area required. A combination of education and experience may substitute for a Bachelor's degree.
Portfolio review required.
Our client is a large technology company based in Redmond, Washington with a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. They develop computer software, consumer electronics, personal computers, and related services. This company enables digital transformation for the era of an intelligent cloud and an intelligent edge.
Working here, you will be part of a company that values:
- Diversity and inclusion
- Corporate social responsibility
- Trustworthy computing
Why work with AQUENT? Check out our awesome benefits: https://aquent.com/find-work/talent-benefits
Aquent is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.