- Job Terms:
- based on experience
- Start date:
- Posted By:
- Vicki Schuch
Are you interested in a unique opportunity to put your talents to work by guiding the evolution of Consumers Energy’s website, our most highly used communication channel? As a national leader in delivery of essential energy services with aggressive commitments to people, the environment, and economic prosperity, we embrace data-driven decisions to transform traditional interactions into simple, engaging, personalized experiences. That’s where you come in! The Website Content Writer crafts, edits, and optimizes copy for ConsumersEnergy.com. Ideal candidate will have a passion for compelling, search-friendly content that pulls in the Voice of the Customer to ensure relevancy and engagement. The content writer will focus mainly on the creation & delivery of marketing communications including articles, landing page copy, and user flow copy in different web modals throughout site.
Who We Are
As one of the nation’s largest natural gas and electric service providers, it is our passion and privilege to serve the residents and businesses of Michigan who count on us every day. Inspired by a 130-year heritage and a vision for a sustainable energy future, our 8,000 employees embrace a culture that values diversity and accountability, earning recognition including:
• Forbes® best place to work and best employer for diversity in Michigan
• Forbes® best employer for women, utility sector
• Sustainalytics #1 U.S. utility for sustainability performance
• #1 Michigan company in Newsweek® green rankings
What We Offer You
• Competitive Pay & Generous 401k matching
• Health and Wellness - Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups, and access to physical & mental well-being tools are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
• World-Class paid Maternity/Paternity leave
• Generous vacation policy based on your work experience, in addition to company holidays
• Flexible working hours
• Learning & career growth - Professional development is as important to us as it is to you
• A collaborative culture that genuinely cares about employee engagement & well-being
The Impact You’ll Make
You will be seeking out new communication opportunities and insights into how our website can be improved via engaging content strategies & execution. This hybrid role is part of our Digital Customer Operations team. This flexible opportunity allows you to work remotely, if desired, and have periodic opportunities to collaborate with team members in person.
What You Will do:
• Ideation and execution of content and article concepts, while balancing business & customer needs appropriately.
• Serve as the brand gatekeeper by monitoring for tone of voice and visual asset adherence to brand & web guidelines and contribute to the maintenance and implementation of Consumers Energy Digital Content Style Guide standards.
• Remain current on digital marketing, content marketing, and SEO strategies through directed and independent study.
• Reporting on content and engagement results to help drive continuous improvement in our messaging approach.
• Interface with stakeholders throughout the organization to craft content and advise on content builds. Serve as in-house content expert.
• Utilize a range of inputs from site analytics, survey results and usability findings to develop solutions that satisfy business strategies and objectives.
• Ensure content meets accessibility standards (WCAG 2.1 AA Compliant and beyond as compliance needs evolve).
What You Bring to the Table:
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 3+ years of experience in digital content production
• Must be able to provide a portfolio of work
• Experience developing and analyzing content in digital environments such as: content audits, content strategy recommendations, persona assessments, applied usability learnings, and personalization efforts to cater content and tone to specific audiences.
• Outstanding written & verbal communication skills
• Dual Minded approach: You’re highly creative, but also process-driven, relying on data and insights to make decisions.
• Understanding of CMS, how to post content across channels per SEO best practices
• Organized – good planner, able to coordinate complex assignments, multiple team tasks, and balance competing priorities
• Versatile – some assignments require methodical approach while others may be more “crisis” oriented
• Great communication skills, both written and verbal
• Leadership – assertive, confident, proactive, not afraid to speak up and ask questions. Comfortable proposing and providing rationale for solutions
• Self-motivated with a great work ethic
• Comfortable in both team environment and working independently
• Creative and able to think outside the box
This position will be filled at the level commensurate with the selected candidate’s skills and education using the technical job description.
Hours and Travel:
This is a full-time position. Base work location can be remote or, if preferred by the candidate, could be any of our various Consumers Energy Offices in Michigan. While daily work location can be of the team member’s choice there may be periodic opportunities to collaborate with team members in-person.
Join the diverse and dynamic team that powers Michigan's largest energy provider and one of the nation's largest gas and electric combination utilities. Consumers Energy services 6.7 million of Michigan's 10 million residents - caring for our friends and neighbors in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties. We embrace a cleaner and leaner utility vision focused on eliminating energy waste and adding renewable energy from sources such as wind and solar.
At Consumers Energy, we offer more than just a place to work. We foster a culture that supports career development, growth, and stability, and we take pride in offering our co-workers excellent benefits and compensation packages. We are deliberately creating an inclusive culture that makes our diverse team of co- workers feel valued, supported, and empowered every day. We're a company made up of thousands of people, all with different stories to share and work to do, but we stand united in our company purpose: world class performance delivering hometown service.
As a national leader in delivery of essential energy services with aggressive commitments to people, the environment, and economic prosperity, Consumers Energy embraces design practices that transform traditional interactions into compelling experiences and bring next-generation energy solutions to life.
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.