- Michigan & Remote
- Job Terms:
- Start date:
- Posted By:
- Vicki Schuch
Are you ready to join a team taking on generational challenges through the power of human-centered design? Consumers Energy has a unique opportunity to put your experience design talents to work solving real world problems by creating energy products and services that make daily life easier for over 6.5 million people
Why work with Consumers Energy?
As one of the nation’s largest natural gas and electric service providers, it is our passion and privilege to serve the residents and businesses of Michigan who count on us every day. Inspired by a 130-year heritage and a vision for a sustainable energy future, our 8,000 employees embrace a culture that values diversity and accountability, earning recognition including:
- Forbes® best place to work and best employer for diversity in Michigan Forbes® best employer for women, utility sector
- Sustainalytics #1 U.S. utility for sustainability performance
- #1 Michigan company in Newsweek® green rankings
The Experience Design team influences every corner of Consumers Energy, evangelizing that customer experience is the most important product we deliver. As a member of the team, you’ll be immersed into a passionate world of design thinkers, partnering with Product Owners and cross-functional teams on a wide variety of initiatives. Be ready to dream big and push beyond what is expected. You’ll tackle complex challenges and get the satisfaction of guiding your team from concept to prototype to delivery of remarkably useful, simple and enjoyable experiences.
This Experience Manager must be a human-centered design practitioner who is passionate about the art of the possible. With a spirit of curiosity and innovation, and a wealth of cross-industry design thinking experience, this individual contributor role will quickly become a key partner to the Retail Services Pilots team. This small but mighty force is dedicated to ensuring all pilots embrace design thinking principles and will play a key role in experimenting with new energy-related product and service opportunities for potential market introduction. Your linkages to the Experience Design team and strength in design thinking methodology will elevate the team’s ethnographic discovery practices, “how might we...” ideation processes, rapid prototyping and ultimate pilot delivery.
- Establish yourself as a “go-to” thought leader for the Retail Service Pilots team with the ability to infuse design thinking practices into new product and service identification and experimentation
- Embody a spirit of curiosity, open-mindedness, collaboration, and cross-team learning that elevates team thinking and establishes you as a sought-out, indispensable member of both Experience Design and Pilots
- Learn and lead practical experience-design methodologies and techniques to further expand the Experience Design “Center of excellence”
- Demonstrated success at contributing to a positive, collaborative, innovative culture
- Demonstrated expertise across design thinking practices with passion for ethnography and rapid prototyping
- Must be comfortable acting as a forward-thinking ideator and be able to provide clarity among multiple goals and an ever-changing environment
- Bachelor degree, or equivalent experience
Join the diverse and dynamic team that powers Michigan's largest energy provider and one of the nation's largest gas and electric combination utilities. Consumers Energy services 6.7 million of Michigan's 10 million residents - caring for our friends and neighbors in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties. We embrace a cleaner and leaner utility vision focused on eliminating energy waste and adding renewable energy from sources such as wind and solar.
At Consumers Energy, we offer more than just a place to work. We foster a culture that supports career development, growth, and stability, and we take pride in offering our co-workers excellent benefits and compensation packages. We are deliberately creating an inclusive culture that makes our diverse team of co- workers feel valued, supported, and empowered every day. We're a company made up of thousands of people, all with different stories to share and work to do, but we stand united in our company purpose: world class performance delivering hometown service.
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Location: Ability to work effectively in hybrid work environment. That means...
- Remote: Preferably in Michigan
- In Person (as health/safety protocols allow): Occasional presence at Jackson, Michigan Innovation Center may be required; 25+ Michigan locations are available for use at employee discretion.
- Field (as health/safety protocols allow): Various customer locations, primarily for research and testing activities