- Job Terms:
- Start date:
- Posted By:
- Tara Carr
We're looking for a UX Writer
Are you an excellent writer comfortable with technical concepts and making them easier to read? We are looking for a UX Writer who is passionate about creating user-centered experiences, great content and thrives in a fast-paced environment where your work helps improve people’s lives.
We are committed to investing in innovative digital experiences that improve our customers’ quality of life and interaction. The UX Writer is integral to achieving this goal by creating excellent content for our digital channels. In this role, you will work with a team of experts and help write new material and revise existing content that is clear, concise, engaging, relevant, persuasive, and consistent.
You will work closely with stakeholders from all business areas and develop an in-depth knowledge of unassisted digital support subjects and customer information needs. Primarily, you will create content to have the right tone for the right audience – including consumers, business stakeholders, and other employees.
The Digital Copywriter is assigned to a development team within Global Support Solutions at HP. This team creates and maintains content across web properties in alignment with corporate and digital style guides. The UX writer is responsible for creating digital content aligned with digital content strategy and multiple complex business goals.
The UX Writer:
• Creates copy that:
o is valuable and relevant to targeted audiences
o is reusable across digital properties, consistent in style and tone
o follows guidelines, including accessibility, SEO, and localization
o is aligned with the design and in sync with related deliverables
o meets business requirements and objectives
o meets legal and compliance requirements
• Assists with the creation and maintenance of content standards, including a library of shared reusable content.
• Works closely with other project team members, including UX designers, UX researchers, and product and program management.
• Works collaboratively and cohesively across teams to gather information in a complex environment with multiple stakeholders and reviews
• Works with UX researchers to discover content needs and evaluate content.
• Interpret and use qualitative and quantitative data to make data-driven decisions.
• Conducts content audits of existing content to identify areas of potential improvement.
• Creates communication strategies for multi-channel experiences.
• Has the ability to receive feedback professionally and respond accordingly in a positive, productive, and, as needed, proactive way that produces excellently written digital content
• Possesses the knowledge and confidence to negotiate diplomatically to achieve the most effective digital content.
• Willing to be the champion of clarity and clear communication in an organization that doesn’t see the problem with complex technical processes and is fond of overusing acronyms.
• Collaborates with content teams to execute strategy into the content creation
o Excellent fact-gathering and writing ability, with a proven record of accuracy and adherence to style and grammar
o Firmly believes that communication can be both clear and concise.
o Experience writing UI content and knowledge of best practices across web and mobile
o Familiarity with software development processes (e.g., waterfall, agile)
o A knack for juggling several projects, managing time efficiently, and prioritizing appropriately
o Experience working with subject matter experts, legal and compliance, and user experience teams
o Passion for sharing information and helping others be successful
o Focused on team success rather than individual success
o Approachable, respectful, open, transparent, and easy to work with – even in stressful situations
o Ability to be self-aware, receive feedback, and continually improve
o Ability to produce clarity when confronted with unclear situations
• 3+ years of content strategy, digital content writing, UX writing, or similar experience.
• Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communication, Marketing or similar field
• Proven expertise in grammar and style adherence
• Ability to be flexible in a dynamic environment where priorities and processes evolve
• Must be highly organized, capable of handling multiple details simultaneously, and able to move between strategic and tactical work easily
• Familiarity with content management systems
• Experience working cross-functionally across and with product teams
• Knowledge of accessibility best practices
• Self-starter who takes both initiative and ownership
• Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills
• Conversant and comfortable with principles of digital design, writing, and editing
• Proficient with: Microsoft Office, SharePoint
This role is about softening our support documentation tone to make it feel less technical and overwhelming, more friendly, and easier to read.
Previous experience softening tone or writing dialog are definite pluses—brevity, clarity, and simplicity are the guiding principles of what we want to achieve.
The position will be as creative as it will be challenging; a willingness to experiment and embrace new approaches will be essential.