- Carlsbad,CA ( remote)
- Job Terms:
- Start date:
- Posted By:
- Tamira Imondi
The Associate Product Developer is responsible for supporting the overall execution and development of a small scope of specified products, from concept through production while supporting the Product Development department on key support functions under the direction of Product Development Manager. She/he contributes to the Product Development team to achieve department initiatives utilizing creative thinking, critical analysis, time management, and problem solving skills. She/he reports on the development of his/her category as it relates to the calendar, product quality, and margin on a regular basis to Product Development Manager. The Associate Product Developer works autonomously with general supervision.
Experience / Requirement
- 1-2 years of product development experience (exposure/department experience)
- They will not be creating any product themselves – this is strictly a support role
- Systems: Adobe Illustrator + Full Circle (both trainable)
- No Education Requirements – Looking for the experience, not the education.
Job Functions of Product Development Associate
- They will be supporting the Prod Dev team primarily with 3 tasks: Tech packs, BOM, vendor communications
- Tech Pack Updates – not creating, they’re just updating specifics, details, measurements
- Using Adobe Illustrator and Full Circle
- BOM – Making updates to existing BOM
- Vendor Communications – All of our external vendors for product development
Team Dynamic / Soft Skills
- Team Player (9 Person Team)
- Not afraid to ask questions or clarify details
- Details are super important for us, so they need to have attention to detail
- No product development exposure or experience
- Lack of importance on details
- No of understanding of tech packs (technical packs)
In collaboration with Design, Technical Design, Production, and Merchandising and under the direction of Product Development Manager supports the sourcing of fabrics, trims, construction technology and vendor base to support the vision, sourcing strategy and product requirements.
Communicates daily with our domestic & international vendors to enhance sourcing strategy, creating respectful, symbiotic relationships for combined growth
Assists in communication of costs, MOQ, lead-times and technical qualities are met per Design’s intentions on narrow, specified set of products within sourcing strategy
Participates in vendor meetings and suppliers throughout season and at trade shows
Upholds Environmental Health & Safety program and its impacts on our daily decision-making, the suppliers we work with, social compliance, and our consumer
Coordinates the product lifecycle T&A of narrow, specified product categories based on the client's development calendar and collaborates with Design, Merchandising, Product Development, Technical Design and Production teams to achieve commercial viability of designs. Performs higher level support job task on a regular basis to improve Product Development department productivity.
• Tracks and develops seasonally based need product categories:
• SMU (special make ups)
• Counter sourcing projects
• Specialty product capsules
• Executes the development to production of a narrow and specified set of products (as mentioned above) encompassing:
• Bill of Materials creation
• Fit session participation
• Coordinates tech packs to factory and track incoming prototype samples
• Troubleshoots development process in collaboration with PCT (Product Creation Team)
• Tracks and monitors artwork/print development
• Meets designated target margins by cost negotiations with factory partners
• Proactively supports and adheres to calendar deadlines to ensure product delivery dates are met
• Manages and tracks weekly proto Works In Progress communication to factories to ensure timely development of proto-types
• Assists in maintaining and updating Full Circle (Product Lifecycle Management system)
• Assist Product Development department with technical packet updates and data integrity updates
• Assists with product specifications for workbook, catalog, and on-line launches
• Evaluates submittals to ensure quality standards are met
• Inputs relevant data to PLM and Full Circle
• Utilizes versatile skill set to assist in additional product categories as needed
• Assists Product Development department as needed directed by Product Development Manager
3. Product Integrity
Cross-functional interaction with all departments to deliver the highest quality product in our market and communicate the product attributes & vision.
• Makes thoughtful daily decisions to maintain high levels of standards in quality - from development to production
• Participates in evaluating daily/seasonal processes in Product Development and how we interact with other teams
4. Market Research & Development
Maintains knowledge of industry trends and current events to align client's product line with industry progress and growth, as well as, company goals and strategies.
• Along with Product Creation teams, shops the current market (comparison shopping and trade shows) for competitive garments, techniques, fabrics/trims, fit and assortment
• Along with Product Creation teams, provides input in creating the best product possible, aligning with
strategies and seasonal vision
Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in apparel and/or textile product development, merchandising or design is required
• Minimum of 2 years of industry experience in product development
• Working knowledge of technical apparel construction, fabrics (knits and wovens) and their properties, and trims in the following (men’s, women’s and/or accessories) categories: outerwear, mid-Layer, performance, activewear, swimwear, lifestyle, sweaters, dresses, accessories
• Developing knowledge of supply chain transparency and compliance
• Familiar with costing and negotiating
• Working knowledge of: PLM systems, Word, Excel, Adobe Illustrator
• Must be able to travel occasionally domestically or internationally
• Calm and mindful disposition in all actions
• Attention to detail
• Ability to establish and maintain schedules by prioritizing heavy workloads and multiple seasons overlapping
• Demonstrates a flexible work style based on shifting demands and priorities
• Excels in a team-based structure and maintains a positive attitude in a team environment
• Ability to achieve goals, tasks and responsibilities with a high level of integrity
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Problem-solving skills
• Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and openness to new ideas and change
Must be able to perform essential functions with or without reasonable accommodations.
• Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
• Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time. Must have close visual acuity to view a computer screen; prepare and analyze data and information; transcribe information; and read.
• Must be able to talk; express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word; those activities where detailed or important spoken instructions or information must be conveyed to others accurately, loudly or quickly (by phone or in person).
• Must be able to hear; perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and having the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and making fine discriminations in sound.
Our Client is a global outdoor brand that crafts active lifestyle gear fortified with industry-leading technologies and tested in their own backyard of Portland, Oregon. Their apparel, footwear, and accessories reflect their Pacific Northwest heritage and indomitable spirit.
NO ONE HAS BENEFITS LIKE AQUENT! Working with AQUENT gets you access to some pretty cool things including:
Subsidized (up to 85%!) Health, Vision and Dental Benefits
Access to Fidelity 401(k) with matching!
Weekly Direct Deposit
Resume / Portfolio Review + Interview Prep. You'll be set-up for success!
Free continued learning: https://thegymnasium.com/
Compare our benefits to other agencies, here!
Who is AQUENT? www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z-n8nfytuM