- Boston, MA
- Job Terms:
- Competitive w/ full benefits
- Start date:
- Posted By:
- PJ Farnham
The Product Owner (PO) is a member of the Agile Product Team responsible for defining Stories and prioritizing the Team Backlog. This is an instrumental role in driving day to day development for an onsite search and merchandising program that generates significant business value to the organization and touches millions of consumers. This role plays a significant role in enabling the technical components which power the customer experience. This PO will be responsible for working with 3-5 teams to understand the customer experience and build necessary onsite search & merchandising solutions to meet business needs. Responsible for streamlining the execution of team priorities while maintaining the conceptual and technical integrity of the features/ components for the team, the PO has a significant role in quality control and is the only team member empowered to accept stories as done. This role has significant relationships and responsibilities outside the local team, including working with Product Management, who is responsible for the Program Backlog, to prepare for the Program Increment (PI) Planning meeting.
User Story Development
- Works with product management and stakeholders to align on business value, problem statements, and customer pain points that are strategic priorities
- Provides subject matter expertise – explaining product vision and user stories to the team to ensure requirements are understood and customer value is delivered
- Collaborates with development team to elaborate and define technical learnings into refined and prioritized backlog items that align to Iteration Objectives
- Responsible for defining and prioritizing stories that will increase velocity and quality of the program
- Responsible for assuring a level of quality has been achieved by validating that the Story meets acceptance criteria and has met acceptance tests. Approves stories as complete.
- Responsible to update product management on Story status to align on delivery expectations
Team Backlog Ownership/Prioritization
- Responsible for building, prioritizing, monitoring/editing, and maintaining the flow of Team Backlog to ensure the delivery of the customer satisfaction and multi-million dollar business value
- Sets the runway for early business value and customer impact by determining sequencing of sprint planning
- Leads the team in identifying dependencies and tradeoffs as well as problem solving risks that may appear in the Team Backlog
Program Increment Planning
- Partner with Product Management, who is responsible for the Program Backlog, to assist in preparing for the Program Increment (PI) Planning meeting
- Identify the potential enablers and spikes for discussion in the Program Increment
- Drafts the team’s objectives and defines features for the Program Increment session
- Collaborates with the team to produce the PI system demo and the Product Owner presents to program stakeholders
- Maintain Conceptual and Technical Integrity of Features/Components
- Partner with design function to consider usability testing and end-user feedback to ensure product will address and resolve user pain points
- Provide architecture and development teams sufficiently detailed feedback on user stories and product vision to ensure the team maintains the technical integrity of features / functionality
3+ years required experience as Product Owner, Business Analyst, Project Manager, Consulting, IT, or related field. Previous experience in agile product development helpful
2+ years experience in working with onsite search in a product management capacity: deep understanding of onsite search within a large scale enterprise environment
Strong critical thinker who makes balanced, insightful decisions using solutions based thinking in problem solving, asking probing questions and looking for underlying issues
Ability to effectively work on teams within a highly collaborative environment
Strong negotiation, organizational, management, analytical and people skills
Excellent verbal and written communication skills for technical and non-technical audiences of various levels in the organization (e.g., executive, management, individual contributors)
Ability to maintain working relationships with all levels of the organization
Broad understanding of core programming, systems architecture, and date science concepts
Experience in retail ecommerce is a plus.
Familiarity with onsite search and merchandising vendor solutions (e.g. bloomreach, groupby, skava, eslasticsearch)
Familiarity with agile processes, such as scrum, Kanban, and/or the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
This client is a fantastic consideration for those who want to combine working with a large retail brand and a true “do-good”, customer-centric focus. Most people we’ve placed here say the company’s innovations within their Retail Loyalty & Personalization program and Healthcare Services offerings is a standout characteristic. Their leadership, competitive edge and innovations within their businesses and markets is having a direct impact on the size of the teams, and we’re seeing massive growth. What a time to get involved!
Is considered by Fast Company to be amongst the most innovative companies
Is listed by Forbes as one of the world’s most admired companies
Makes it their mission to guide people toward better health
This includes altering the products they offer at retail to more health-conscious offerings!
Our client has recently made a move toward a major merger, which means this is a great time to get involved! Two big industry brands coming together.
Working here gets you into a fast-paced environment, with tons of cross-functional working relationships. You’d have exposure to a number of teams related to any project you’re working on, and we sometimes see freelancers convert to permanent employees on teams they’ve had the opportunity to interact with. This is definitely a standout opportunity!