- San Fransisco, CA (Can be remote)
- Job Terms:
- Hourly Rate
- Start date:
- Posted By:
- Anne Baesemann
A San Francisco based Fortune 500 American clothing and accessories retailing company is looking for a contract Senior Designer (Apparel) to join their dynamic team!
With minimal supervision and high-level creative direction, the Senior Designer is responsible for designing and delivering Men’s Outerwear and Men’s Heritage Woven’s product categories. You will be a OW expert recommending new product categories and business strategies and influencing key stakeholders to ensure big ideas translate from concept to implementation. The successful candidate must be adaptable and skilled across all product categories, possess a high level of accountability and have the ability to face challenges head on. A strong sense of teamwork and cross-functional involvement are key, along with flexibility to shift with business needs in a fluid and ever-changing Macro trend environment.
What you'll do
• Research trend in magazines and on-line as well as inspiration shopping.
• Understand the market and translate appropriate trends into current Brand filters.
• Manage and communicate directly with cross-functional teams, 3rd party vendors and/or directly with factories to design and develop product.
• Translate seasonal concepts into key items, styles, and ensures roadmap requirements are met.
• Select raw materials, color, print/pattern story, details and trims. May develop fabric and raw materials.
• Make style-based grow/maintain/decline recommendations for specific product categories based on trend and historical business performance.
• Present key items and styles at alignment meeting to the leadership team. Must be able to prepare a focused & compelling digital presentation.
• Partner with merchandising and production to select styles for sampling, set up booth sets by shop by flow, finalize product details, and complete fittings.
• Demonstrate the highest taste level and the ability to edit to a tight development ratio, the most compelling and saleable product.
• Ensure sample development is kept within agreed upon development ratios. Adhere to product development deadlines.
• Create tech-packs in AI, color croquis and manage virtual boards in AI and Miro, build Trim preorder charts and BOMS in excel.
• Work with cross functional partners (PD/TD) to develop samples for line adoption.
• Approve styles, including fabrication, construction, color, details, trims and fit based on senior LT direction.
• Approve fit and functionality of all product to ensure design integrity.
• Organize and partner with cross functional partners (PD/Merch) to set up and organize line adoption samples and fabric ¼ yards for presentations, alignment and OTB.
• Familiar with best and worst sellers across categories and adjusts development accordingly. Can connect sales results to see overarching themes in the business.
• Successfully deliver additional volume through a reinvention or introduction of new categories or classifications.
• Demonstrate full supervisory and leadership responsibilities, contributing to the motivation/development of team through professional leadership.
What are the Top 3-5 Skills needed to perform this role/job?: Protect integrity of design and meet deliverables based on the development calendar, Ability to own projects from start to finish, drive product development with CFT to completion, AI Sketch and color croquis for design presentations, manage virtual boards via Miro, problem solve and flex around changing work environment and timelines
Top 3-5 Soft Skills for culture fit: Clear on design POV, organized/meticulous, presentation and storytelling skills, ability to shift and flex
Additional Desired Skills: excellent team player, asks questions. and can quickly read non-verbal cues from LT and adapt, contributes a particular expertise to team
Our Client is an Fortune 500 Apparel Retailer that has grown from a single store to a global business throughout its 46 year run!
Talent placed here are given the autonomy to be hands-on decision makers from day one. The company's leadership assumes a supportive role and applies a collaborative management style, offering the guidance and insight to help transform your suggestions into strategies.
This is an environment where co-workers are constantly challenging each other to learn and grow in their roles every day, which energizes the office, and creates forward motion, both on a personal level, and as a company. They’re experimenting with their digital reach, using tech as a catalyst for industry change - both online and in stores. With such robust focus and investment on innovation, employees have the opportunity to directly contribute to the changing landscape of the retail world!
The company culture here is one of relaxed, inclusive community with an ever-present focus on learning and development - both for the individual team member as well as the projects and initiatives that are driving the company forward. And, with tons of cool volunteering opportunities and initiatives, employees have the chance to become influential community leaders as they work for positive change.
5+ years design experience – creating tech packs, boms, basic knowledge of proportions, heritage gmt knowledge a plus
PORTFOLIO showing tech packs
Excellent with Adobe Illustrator Excellent with Adobe Photoshop (Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Teams, Word, One Drive Ability to work with/learn Miro as team is shifting to use the program)
Candidates preferred who have expereince in RETAIL: eg: Ralph Lauren, Calvin, Rag Bone, Levis, Patagonia, Filson, Nike, Lululemon
Typical day duties: Read and answer emails, connect with PD/TD teams to streamline workflow and deadlines, research then sketch directional ideas for presentations with VP, present ideas to team and leadership, create tech packs/BOMs and pass-off as needed.
**Some in-person (office) when safe to return work required to review samples, fabric, trims and to prep for meetings. If outside of San Fran, this can be worked around.