- Kohler, WI
- Job Terms:
- Start date:
- Posted By:
- Vicki Schuch
Our global manufacturing client in Kohler is seeking a Technical Writer to add to their team.
Department: Technical Communications
Division: Plumbing Americas Engineering
Group: Kitchen & Bath
Under the direction of the Writing Group Lead, is responsible for the on-time creation and accuracy of technical content developed for plumbing products – media to include publications, labels and packaging, and animations. Responsible for the coordination of publication requirements with Engineering, Marketing, and Technical Publications service parts, illustration, translation staff, and/or vendors. Leads the creation and maintenance of content and illustrations for installation instructions, homeowner guides, and servicing instructions. Recommends content and illustration standards for product support documentation.
1. Responsible for the coordination of publication requirements with Engineering, Marketing, and Technical Publications service parts, illustration, and translation staff for Kohler, Sterling, and other brands as identified.
2. Serves as the main contact for product teams for technical content and literature requirements for assigned literature projects. Completes qualification for all assigned literature projects.
3. Evaluates project scope and product timing needs then negotiates and sets required documentation production schedule.
4. Ensures the timely completion of assigned projects. Exhibits strong project leadership in the planning, scheduling, organizing, and team implementation of these publications; communicates and negotiates to appropriately apportion time and other resources.
5. Has initial development and quality responsibility for technical product literature as assigned – covering product information, installation, use, and/or servicing.
6. Represents department in matters of technical content and usability of publications. Recommends and supports maintenance of technical communication requirements, standards, and processes for all publication products.
7. Maintains all project data including the determination of cost and timing parameters for projects and status notes.
8. Other responsibilities and tasks as assigned.
RELATIONSHIPS AND CONTACTS
• Reports to the Writing Group Lead.
• Has continuous contact with Technical Communications and Engineering Services staff.
• Has frequent contact with New Product and Current Product Development teams.
• Has frequent contact with Faucets and Fixtures Marketing and Communications.
• Has occasional contact with Customer Service.
• Has occasional contact with International Marketing, product development teams from other Kohler businesses, and other Kohler business Technical Publications Departments.
External Business Relationships:
• Has occasional contact with external vendors.
• Has occasional contact with end-use customers of product support documentation.
• Has occasional contact with technical writing and illustration software organizations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in English, Technical Communications, Technical Illustration or other technical discipline along with strong technical writing background.
- At least four years of technical writing experience for product and/or software is required.
- At least two years experience in plumbing product installation, design, or documentation preferred, but will substitute similar experience in a related technical/manufacturing field.
- Mechanical aptitude, diagnostic skills, and ability to read drawings is required.
- Requires computer aptitude and demonstrated writing.
- Requires demonstrated visualization skills – the ability to translate between two- and three-dimensional data views.
- Illustration experience a plus.
- Must be self-motivated.
- Requires proven interpersonal and team leadership skills.
- Must demonstrate proficiency at managing complex projects, and ability to adapt to changing priorities.
- Typing skills are essential for productivity.
- Experience with XML and DITA authoring tools and SAP is preferred.
- Authoring for reuse is required.
- Familiarity working with a tagged language (HTML/XML/DITA) is required.
- Requires familiarity with InDesign.
- Illustration experience with CAD or Pro/E, Creo, Adobe Illustrator, or Arbortext IsoDraw a plus.
- Proficiency with database use and excel spreadsheets required.
Note: Team is working remotely at this time. Candidate would need to have high-speed internet to run required programs and enable video conferencing/meetings. Laptop with all required software will be provided. Pick-up would need to be arranged to get the equipment so an arranged time and place to pick up would be needed, following all COVID prototcols.
Aquent offers AMAZING benefits, including full medical, dental & vision insurance after 4 weeks, sick pay, 401K, weekly paychecks, free training and great referral bonuses!