Our client's Customer Experience (CX) team is focused on reimagining healthcare to help people during both the everyday moments and the ones that matter the most. We touch the lives of over 5 million members and are shaping the future to make healthcare more easy, useful and enjoyable for all.
The Service Design Director creates, owns, and evangelizes the vision and purpose of Design throughout the organization. This person will grow and mentor a team of designers, identify and prioritize a stream of impactful work for them, and structure and deploy design teams against opportunities of real business value. Further, they will be responsible for creating the environment where Design can thrive in the enterprise, including leading the charge for new tools, new vendors, and new processes where appropriate. The Design Director must be both the face and the heart of the practice both to their team and to the organization at large.
• Advocates for user-centered design-thinking methodology throughout organization
• Mentor associate and senior colleagues on the design process and its value
• Build traction and toolkit for design methods to spread within the organization
• Develop analytics for user experience metrics and reports on the success of UX improvements
• Take a cross-channel, service-oriented view and ensure consistency in solutions
• Collaborate across agile teams to ensure designs are feasible to implement and subsequently implemented accurately
• Ensure solution in development aligns to company and product brand standards, and push to create or update these standards where appropriate
• Follow all applicable company policy and procedures
• Share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission
The job description requires multi-faceted skills, including:
Customer Experience Design: Hands-on experience designing holistic, omni-channel consumer and service delivery ecosystem designs. Ability to transform tasks into intuitive, accessible and easy-to-use designs through the entire experience lifecycle, from the first-time user to the expert. Ability to execute visual, information, interaction, and service design elements of the initiative that meets business and customer needs and delights customers. Ability to communicate the initiative and product to others (Business Partners) through consumer journeys, storyboards, ecosystem and service designs, prototypes, wireframes, infographics and other materials.
Fast Paced Innovator: You are able to prototype rapidly in multiple mediums and levels of interactivity (physical, digital, low and hi-fidelity, tangible and conceptual). The ability to translate insight and strategy into concept prototypes and communicate your vision through your artifacts. Creative use of technology and alternative approaches. Enthusiasm to learn new technologies, and ability to do so quickly, on the job. Appreciation of high quality visual design, innovative technology, marketing strategy, business strategy, as well as business analysis and quality assurance disciplines.
Design Research: Seasoned in fast-paced design research. Ability to conduct and/or partner on consumer studies and present findings that will inform improvements in the customer experience. Capable of establishing research methods and strategies with our market research team. Ability to discover customer and business needs through contextual inquiries, generative and quantitative research, and identify solutions to meet those needs.
Consulting and Mentoring: Ability to teach teams and partners experience and human-centered design techniques to improve their every-day processes.
Storytelling and Concept Selling: Strength in using storytelling to share your discoveries, influence business partners and create energy around an idea or an initiative. Ability to pitch concepts in a clear, concise, and compelling way to obtain buy-in and/or funding.
Consumer Obsessed: The ability to build consumer empathy in business partners and emotionally connect to the lives and realities of the people we serve. Advocating for our customers at all times. Experience in designing and conducting Customer Experience Immersions.
Approachable, Kind and Considerate Working Style: Care about the well-being of your partners, team members, and leaders. Seek the good in people first and help move projects along gracefully.
• Is inspired by leading disparate teams to value design and user-centricity
• Demonstrates strong communication skills with ability to articulate to clients / users the value of using design thinking to solve problems
• Is able to produce high quality creative output under quick turnaround times and strict deadlines in a “player-coach” format
• Ideally, has a past mix of strategy, service, experience, and visual design skills
• Long track record of leading ethnographic or qualitative research programs
• BS/BA/MFA in Design or Master’s in design preferred (Human Factors, Interaction Design, Information Science or HCI, Design, Design Strategy, Design Planning, Design Research,
or related field)
• Understands healthcare business and has domain knowledge on how the business works or has worked in diverse industries and has proven track record to pick up new industries context quickly
• Experience building, coaching, and developing high-performing design teams
• Has a long track record of successfully evangelizing design methodology in a corporate environment, ideally outside of the traditional bounds of design
• Has developed a distinct point-of-view around design methodology
• Clear and articulate speaker on design approaches and impact greatly preferred