Awesome Managing Editor Opportunity in Kansas City
Leadership Position on a Growing Content Team
Our client, the #1 senior living referral company in the US, is seeking an experienced Managing Editor to manage the development and distribution of their digital content across all digital properties. Their mission is to provide customers with educational, conversion-focused content that supports the overall customer journey, enabling them to make informed decisions related to long-term care.
The Managing Editor will be experienced building and/or managing editorial team(s) and guiding his/her team to deliver on actions designed meet business goals, will report to the Chief Content Officer, and will directly manage a growing team of editors, copywriters, and copyeditors. The Managing Editor will be responsible for ensuring all digital content reflects the overall content strategy for the organization, and adheres to brand compliance and desired tone. Success in this role will come from publishing content that leads to increased conversions and traffic from online channels that result in driving revenue—all to contribute to the company’s financial targets. The Managing Editor has the unique opportunity to expand digital content footprint and directly cultivate a growing team of editors, copywriters, copyeditors and more. You will guide the editorial process, oversee the creation of the editorial calendar, implement and manage editorial boards, and manage the timely, precise content production process across our digital properties. You will always be striving to stay ahead of trends in content-creation while identifying future growth opportunities. Most uniquely, the Managing Editor will have a hand in shaping the culture and personality of a rapidly expanding content marketing team.
- Plan and manage all daily operations
- Supervise, coach and potentially hire key personnel
- Collaborate with editorial team to determine content, topics and workflow
- Plan and approve assignments for writers and editors.
- Control schedules and enforce deadlines (for writers, designers, editors, etc.)
- Oversee proofreading procedures and edit copy when necessary
- Assist in evaluating finalized copy for compliance with policies, style and tone
- Oversee the development of high-quality content pieces that target ideal customer segments and drive conversion
- Provide recommendations that help the business achieve strategic revenue goals that is based on competitive assessments, audience segmentation, SEO data, and site metrics.
- Work with Content SEO teams to identify areas for customer acquisition and develop engaging content strategies to convert users.
- Identify and prioritize opportunities for improvement in conversions along the customer journey.
- Manage the identification and documentation of the content needs of key audiences, across all stages of the customer journey, in the form of content-actionable personas and journeys.
- Meet content goals and performance metrics with a view to ongoing content optimization.
- Formulate with internal stakeholders a roadmap of data-driven editorial activity to deliver measurable improvement in funnel metrics over time.
- Champion customer experiences at all touchpoints using internal funnel metrics data
- Develop and manage editorial calendar to product launches, promotions, content and more.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- B.S. Degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or applicable field is required.
- 4+ years of proven experience managing content marketing groups, editorial teams or newsrooms. Digital experience preferable.
- 10+ years of proven experience driving successful content initiatives that drive traffic, drive engagement and drive conversion for brands.
- Experience with content management systems, digital asset management, databases and SEO best practices
- Excellent at planning, coordinating and managing people, operations, schedules and workflow
- Skilled at information collection and discovery; demonstrated ability to develop practical, workable solutions. Skilled at learning and applying new technology tools.
- Highly collaborative: Able to work across functions, geographies, and organizational levels to develop solutions; engages and involves key stakeholders.
- Effective communicator: Clearly communicate needs, results, and recommendations to stakeholders and staff across the organization.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills