The purpose of the Art Director role is to conceive, develop and implement internal and external communication campaigns, promotional programs and meeting/event deliverables that support business objectives, as well as project work for our pharma client's teams, across the entire enterprise. Works independently and/or collaboratively with fellow design staff, including Creative Directors, fellow Designers or directing Junior/Production staff or vendor partners. Contributes to the development and clarification of project scope, timeline and budget, and shares accountability with Account Teams in delivering against project requirements and client expectations, proactively course-correcting when necessary.
• Understands and adheres to the Code of Business Conduct (CBC) and all other applicable internal policies and procedures.
• Utilizes creative functional knowledge to facilitate project development.
• Maintains awareness of current design trends, new techniques and technology in photography, typography, illustration, design, animation/motion graphics and video, including both print and digital media.
• Understands and interprets Brand Standards and Guidelines, including the Corporate Brand, as well as individual product brands, as required.
Skills and Development:
• Strategically prioritizes and multitasks to enhance productivity, managing complex workloads to expedite timelines. Communicates priorities to all appropriate functional groups and individuals. Reprioritizes projects and tasks within a highly dynamic work environment.
• Effectively reasons through problems and situations while thinking through decision implications. Thoroughly investigates questions, issues and problems as they arise. Considering alternative and creative ways of viewing situations and solving problems design-related or not.
Project Initiation and Discovery:
• Assures that all projects adhere to department workflow standards while meeting client objectives.
• Analyzes messages and determines how content should be best designed, physical or digital forms it should take, and what type, colors, grid, paper quality, etc. will help best achieve the overall goal.
Creative Execution and Implementation:
• Develops creative concepts and strategies that support business and communication objectives. Executes design and production processes based on project specifications.
• Implements appropriate internal and external approval processes.
• Consistently communicates timely and accurate information as project progresses, meets deadlines and executes quality standards.
• Proactively utilizes quality control processes, always leveraging best practices for greater efficiency. Provides innovative solutions that result in process improvement.
• Works directly with meeting and events team, account teams, project management, writers and creative directors to develop creative objectives, presenting concepts to clients.
• Anticipates clients’ needs and proactively provides expertise and innovative solutions to meet them.
• Must track time on a daily basis and meet established utilization numbers for this function.
• Knowledge of regulations, standards and healthcare trends affecting pharmaceutical products and biotech.
• Should have good working knowledge of brand identity, editorial design, information graphics and data visualization, typography, packaging design, convention graphics and signage, print production, web/digital interface and interactive design.
• Must have design thinking skills as well as a good sense of appropriate design for audiences.
• Must ensure that design enhances and helps clearly communicate messages, realizing that design does not become an end unto itself.
• Must have enough marketing sense to develop creative concepts that strongly support project objectives, tone and positioning.
• Must possess sufficient creative talents, understanding and technical skills of creative media to determine which means (i.e. photography, illustration, typography, etc.) will best portray the appropriate creative concept.
• Must be able to develop concepts/designs that will break through the clutter and communicate the key message(s) aligned to the client objectives.
• Must work well under pressure, exercising good judgment as well as good interpersonal skills. Must be able to articulate ideas to clients in creative meetings and presentations.
• Must have a good grasp of project time requirements to be able to meet deadlines, client expectations and avoid over-commitment.
• Must be able to work within a team, as well as independently and with ambiguity.
• Must be able to clearly communicate direction to others, including fellow design staff, external resources/vendors, illustrators and animators.
• Requires transforming written work into visual communications, creating the greatest impact.
• Must be able to recognize when a project is not proceeding to a positive and successful outcome.
• Must be prepared to change direction to get a project back on track.
• Must be able to work independently (i.e. follow projects through from start to finish with little direct supervision) as well as with teams, under the guidance of a creative director, and be responsible for scheduling one’s daily work schedule.
• BA/BS required in graphic design and/or communications. Master’s degree desirable.
• 5-7 years of graphic design experience within a graphic design firm, advertising agency, in-house corporate graphics department and/or freelance business.
o Collaboration: Successfully builds strong productive, mutually beneficial relationships while enhancing collaboration with peers, internal stakeholders and external partners.
o Communication: Excellent communication skills: written, presentation and oral that persuades and gains understanding and alignment with others in a professional tone. Strong ability to read and display professional non-verbal cues with others. Able to influence and communicate with various levels of the organization.
o Problem Solving: Ability to solve complex problems with innovative thinking resulting in improvements to business solutions and efficiency.
o Customer Focus: Highly skilled at adjusting and adapting service delivery to diverse customer needs and sensitivities. Continues to look for ways to improve service, e.g., TypeCoach methodologies when interacting with peers and stakeholders.
o Technical Skills: Is SME on related technical, systems and business process skills and consistently seeks opportunity to improve skills to advance business objectives, e.g. training others in department. Able to research and learn technical areas
o Latitude and Attention to detail: Ability to work independently with strong attention to detail. Must be able to determine objectives to assignments while prioritizing competing priorities and schedules.