Welcome to a new idea in banking that’s disrupting financial services—for the better. Our client is reimagining banking to fit our customers’ everyday lives, not the other way around. Across their growing national footprint of Retail Branches, our client has supportive people, easy- to-use products, and intuitive tools to help customers achieve a healthy financial future—one with less anxiety and more everyday joy. Our client hs prioven to be a cornerstone of their innovative approach—think Genius Bar, rather than traditional bank branch. Open to everyone, they’re comfortable spaces where people can get help, explore the latest in banking, and kick back with free Wi-Fi, Coffee and local treats. But they're not sitting around waiting for competitors to catch up. They're finding ways to be more innovative, more
empathetic and more impactful—and we’re looking for a visionary director of Retail Design to help rhem.
As the Director of Retail Design at, you’ll drive the creative visions and strategic plan for their cafes and branches, lead a team of accomplished designers, and collaborate with company leaders and stakeholders
throughout the process. Your work will delight, inspire and empower consumers—with a direct impact on the company’s bottom line.
- Lead a team of interior and application designers responsible for the physical design of cafés andbranches; select and direct the work of design agencies; and work closely with the Construction Delivery and Café Open teams.
- Cultivate an agile, results-driven culture in which innovation and excellence are expected.
- Ensure projects are delivered on time, on budget, and with an exceptional customer experience—while simultaneously managing risk.
- Keep our retail experience deeply rooted in the Consumer Bank brand promise, so it’s always coherent and consistent with all other consumer touchpoints.
- Collaborate effectively with key stakeholders across the customer experience—including the Market Executives, Retail Strategy and Analytics, Retail Operations, Marketing, Digital Product, Technology and construction teams.
The Person We’re looking for someone with a sharp eye for retail design and innovation, passion for building brands and delighting customers—and the ability to set a clear, inspiring vision and translate it into action and results. Ideally, you’ll have:
- Strong experience designing, developing, and managing project plans in a complex and dynamic environment.
- Excellent project management skills—you know how to prioritize work and resources across engagements based on short- and long-term need.
- Exceptional communication skills—you know how to get people onboard with and aligned around a shared vision, from concept to delivery.
- Proven ability to influence, collaborate and build strong relationships at all levels.
- A passion for coaching and developing a team of associates.
- Solid experience in: integrating digital experiences into physical environments; space planning and interior designs for retail companies; selecting and coordinating finishes, colors, furniture, millwork, fabrics, signage, lighting and preparing FF&E packages; and working with product representatives and furniture dealers.
- Expertise in human-centric design and user research—you have strong empathy for end-user behaviors, and you’re masterful at finding the sweet spot of product desirability, feasibility, and viability.
- Fluency in design-thinking techniques and prototyping to develop experiences that can succeed at mass scale.
- Deep knowledge of how digital experiences come to life in a retail environment, and a passion for emerging technologies.
- Demonstrated brand-building experience—you know how to build great ideas that reinforce the brand promise.
- Expertise environmental branding initiatives and merchandising. A get-it-done ethos—you have the energy and willingness to roll-up your sleeves, and a professional agility that equips you to easily deal with the rapidly changing dynamics of the industry and the marketplace.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Interior Design or Architecture
- At least 10 years of experience in leading design teams and direct experience in retail and service design
- Professional Accreditations such as IIDA, CIDA or ASID
- Master’s degree, innovation or business
- Expertise in AutoCAD, Revit, Google Sketch UP, Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite