The Creative Division of the Marketing Office has a temporary need for full-time writing and editing assistance for a period of up to twelve months beginning October 1, 2019.
The primary responsibilities of the temporary writer/editor are as follows:
● Writing for print and online magazine, as well as for email engagement campaigns, fundraising materials, and public programs promotion
● Editing, copyediting, and proofreading a wide array of marketing and promotional materials for print and online channels, such as articles, invitations, brochures, advertisements, flyers,
calendar listings, e-communications, social media posts, and others in support of the overarching marketing strategy
● Ensuring that materials are of the highest quality in terms of content, accuracy, and style.
● Independently researching, interviewing, and collaborating with staff as needed to ensure the written products are engaging, effective, and optimized for the channels by which
they will be distributed
A successful candidate would have demonstrated writing and editing experience in a professional environment as well as the following knowledge/skills:
● Minimum 5 years of experience in a journalism or marketing environment
● Experience writing in an authoritative and engaging style on a variety of topics for online and print publications
● Ability to plan, organize, implement, and monitor multiple projects; manage time; achieve deadlines; and recognize and respond to changing priorities and circumstances
● A thorough and consistent approach to work and managing detailed information across multiple products
● Ability to work independently with minimal supervision while simultaneously collaborating with the creative team and receiving/incorporating feedback from project stakeholders
● Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style (preferred) and/or other style guidelines
● A journalism background is a plus
● Experience in a nonprofit, museum, agency, or marketing environment a plus
● Knowledge of and/or interest in history a plus
● 3 writing samples must be provided along with resume
Work would be conducted on-site in Washington, DC. Limited teleworking may be an option depending on workload and schedule.