- Portland, OR
- Job Terms:
- Start date:
- Posted By:
- Heather Farrin
The content strategy team is looking for a taxonomist who can shape and manage a scalable ontology structure as this company grows. You’ll help build the internal tools taxonomy practice as part of our content strategy team, working closely with research, data science, engineering, operations, localization, and product management to define experiences that are intuitive for multiple audiences and meet our business needs.
- Build comprehensive frontend and backend taxonomies for classifying all of our content in a natural, interpretable manner, at multiple granularities.
- Develop a taxonomy update process by collaborating with data science on data integrity.
- Coordinate and build alignment with business and platform teams and stakeholders across the company to optimize for consistency and effectiveness over time.
- Foster communication and cooperation among the internal tools teams and the operations teams who share a stake in the taxonomies.
- Communicate complex technical information clearly and effectively with a multi-functional audience.
- Provide guidance about ontologies and semantic representations, supporting recommendations with data.
- Work with data science to identify gaps and areas for improvement in the taxonomies, as well as support any taxonomy-driven product strategies.
- Work with localization to ensure that the taxonomies work across languages and cultures.
- Work with engineering to maximize the effectiveness of the infrastructure and tools that support the taxonomies.
- Promote our taxonomies across the organization.
- 3+ years managing product taxonomies.
- Experience using taxonomy management systems to maintain categories, attributes, and other metadata.
- Ontology development and information domain modeling experience.
- Proven ability to present complex technical and metadata information in a clear and concise way to a range of technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience working with content systems and establishing the relationship between content topics.
- Proven ability to work on ambiguous projects and deliver effectively in cross-functional teams.
- Experience with building and shipping taxonomies and related features for content websites, apps, or software.
- Experience partnering closely with data science and operations teams.
- Strong analytical skills, driven by customer focus and a deep understanding of business needs.
- Solid understanding of user experience design principles.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for company mission and deep empathy for our diverse community.
- A portfolio or other work samples showing the impact of your content taxonomy work.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Information Management, or equivalent, plus 3+ years’ work experience.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science or Information Management preferred.
Founded in 2008, this company represents a global travel community that offers magical end-to-end trips, including where you stay, what you do and the people you meet. This website and app uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetize their spaces, passions and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs. The accommodation marketplace offers access to millions of places to stay in more than 191 countries, from apartments and villas to castles, treehouses and B&Bs. With Experiences, people can see a different side to a destination through unique, handcrafted activities run by locals, while a partnership app provides access to the best local restaurants in selected countries. All of this is brought together in one easy-to-use and beautifully designed website and app.
No global movement springs from individuals. It takes an entire team united behind something big. Together, they work hard, they laugh a lot, they brainstorm nonstop, they use hundreds of Post-Its a week, and they give the best high-fives in town.
Working here will give you the opportunity to:
- Create: They build the best experience for their community - as a team.
- Learn: They look inside and outside for inspiration and learning.
- Play: Life is what happens when you're busy working. They make sure to enjoy it.
Please ensure full legal name is on resume.