Packaging Graphics Research & Development Technical Expert
Our client's Packaging Graphics Research & Development Technical Expert manages projects from initiatives to material qualification. The role requires a technical expert who will develop research and development print processes or solutions to improve technology, quality and sustainability of Packaging components. Partners with cross-functional teams, Packaging material team, Creative Designers, Packaging Engineering, Industrial Design, Purchasing, Technical Project Manager and Packaging partners and suppliers.
• You have 10+ years of experience as well as expertise in consumer electronic or consumer goods packaging and labeling.
• Deep understanding of pre-press, in-depth printing processes, and solving on-press issues as well as various materials, inks, adhesives, print decoration and finishing.
• Deep knowledge on digital print technology covering both hardware and software, preferable know how to run digital presses and know how to trouble shoot digital press issues.
• Deep understanding and hands on experience of factory manufacturing process control and quality systems.
• You collaborate and demonstrate a flexible approach to working across multiple teams and styles.
• You have strong communication and interpersonal skills and handle ambiguity with grace.
• You love the details (highly meticulous), simultaneously demonstrating the ability to envision a macro-view of design objectives and foresee potential roadblocks.
• You are inventive and enthusiastic, a problem solver, at ease with being part of a growing organization.
• You dream of working in a creative environment, learn quickly, and you can accommodate rapid change.
• You are enthusiastic about supporting team-culture, are a strong team partner and coach.
• You have appreciation for quality, can communicate clearly, and have patience for the process—both engineering and design.
• You are proficient in Mac applications; database management systems; Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Acrobat; and the Microsoft Office suite. Basic knowledge of database/operations systems is preferred.
• You are available for both domestic and international travel (at least 10 percent of time).
• Follow identified approved initiative, create briefs, engage Cross-functional teams and partner with purchasing to source potential suppliers.
• Brainstorm with cross-functional team members and suppliers, recommended printing and finishing processes to meet project goals. Demonstrate ability to generate print design of experiment and execute the plan with print suppliers.
• Work with suppliers to understand capabilities and scope out mass manufacturing potential options for down select and approval.
• Collaborate with suppliers to trouble shoot issues and capable of taking over digital press to resolve issues if needed.
• Demonstrated ability to use and implement statistical and data analysis tools over colors and work with the team to make data driven decisions.
• Good knowledge of ISO 12647, 15339 and GRACoL2013 color methods.
• Establish R&D project milestones, track timeline and partner up with assigned cross-functional teams for trial run, and material, graphic treatment, new print technology qualification at suppliers.
• Obtain proof of concept samples for design team approval before implementation of the project by the Packaging Ops Producers.
• Understand suppliers printing and finishing capabilities. Stay on top of Packaging Innovation as it relates to these techniques on various substrates. Visit International trade show and attends conferences.
• Manages special projects with ID (boxes for events, exhibitions) and support new acquisition with short term packaging solution/consultation.
• Rich print industry connections and knowledge including raw materials, print and finishing equipment.
Bachelor of Science degree in Packaging and Print, preferred.