Packaging Designer - Beauty/Fragrance
Description: Manager, Packaging Development
This is not a role for someone who wants to be creative, not innovative – NOT a creative role. liason between brand and owners and vendors that they are using for packaging
This role is operational, they will not develop new designs, works with stock packaging
Wood, metal, glass materials
Brand aesthetic - industrial, minimalism
Needs Fragrance experience, cosmetic, retail experience preferred
Temp to perm potential
• Understand that the first consumer experience is the package. Represent the culture and DNA of the brand or business
segment being managed.
Package Concept Feasibility
• Drive innovation by presenting new packaging concepts, technologies and delivery systems to support new Marketing,
Product Development and Design ideas.
• Search new applicable technologies both within and outside our industry in order to continuously evaluate best practice and
support product innovation.
• With the assistance of senior development, provide a comprehensive feasibility of each concept or package that defines
function, manufacturability, component cost, tooling estimates, preliminary development lead time, risk and global
• Support the Strategic Management Initiative by managing all aspects of the development process.
◦ Package Feasibility.
◦ Packaging outline development.
◦ Component/ Package costing specifications and technical profiles.
◦ Supplier recommendation /selection.
◦ Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (Pre-Design Turnover and Post Business Award).
◦ Suggest tooling strategy to support both preliminary forecast and weekly rate of production requirements.
• Build value analysis into every new development ensuring the construction and design provides the most cost effective way
to achieve design criteria but also provide the best function and quality.
• Manage projects through Technical Packaging to ensure design and construction meets all Estee Lauder engineering
• Develop and implement package test plans for all projects.
• Work with Manufacturing and Quality Engineering to define specifications, design criteria and defect ranges to ensure
optimal process flow from manufacture of components through filling and assembly.
• Develop package specifications and validate that technical drawings clearly identify all aspects required to define the
• Ensure all projects are completed and meet the intended design, quality, cost, functionality, and manufacturability objectives.
• Ensure component production and filling/assembly are operating efficiently at optimal rate of production.
• Ensure that packages/components meet the needs of the Brand, corporation, Regulatory and Environmental Legislation,
and consumer safety.
• Keep informed through colleagues, vendors, journals, professional affiliations, and seminars of new materials, processes,
• With the assistance of senior development, provide detailed component timelines including all package development tasks
and manage them.
• Support Global Brand Supply Chain (GBSC) and Global Supplier Relations (GSR) with package development schedules
and identify risks or ways to mitigate risks to support a component availability requirement.
• Identify and inform GBSC and GSR of any risks and or delays during the course of development.
• Establish workload priorities to ensure all projects are managed within expected due dates.
Direct and Indirect Management
• Communicate and work closely with all development groups including Marketing, Product Development, R&D and Design.
• Work with Package Operations to generate outlines efficiently and process artwork correctly and effectively.
• Work with GBSC and GSR to manage specific project development and provide detail analysis on risk when required.
• Build and cultivate relationships with Global Manufacturing and Manufacturing Engineering.
Minor Merchandising development
• Punctually brief vendors, develop, and review technical specifications to produce stores display elements (metal, wood, plexi
Education, Direct Experience and Technical Skill:
Education / Certification
• Minimum BS degree in Packaging Science or Engineering.
• CIPT or IOPP certification.
• 5 + years experience in cosmetic package development.
• Experience in beauty or related industry with proven development experience.
• Proficiency in computer systems including Unique Package Definition Systems, MS Excel, Word, Outlook and Timeline
• Technical competency in analysis of geometric objects in 2 and 3 dimensions including understanding of clearances, fit and
finish of packaging components and subcomponents.
• Knowledge of materials used in the construction and manufacturing of primary, secondary and tertiary packaging including
but not limited to:
• Injection molding.
• Extrusion molding.
• Metal forming.
• Glass forming.
• Vacuum forming.
• Assembly of components.
• Dispensing systems (Pump, Airless).
• Folding carton and rigid box design.
• Knowledge of decorating techniques and materials used on primary, secondary and