Project Manager, Global Package Development
This is a freelance position based onsite in NYC starting mid January 2019 and going through til January 2020. This will be 40 hours/week. Excellent opportunity to support a global beauty brand and their corporate strategy!
Principle Objective: Support the Global Beauty client Corporate strategy to continue to be the global leader in prestige beauty by ensuring brand packaging is developed to support the values of unrivaled quality, creativity and innovation. Support designated business segment by being the brand steward for the package, ensuring all aspects meet or exceed the quality, creative and product delivery requirements within a managed timeline and cost objective.
• Understand that the first consumer experience is the package. Represent the culture and DNA of the brand or business segment being managed.
• Support the Strategic Management Initiative by managing all aspects of the development process.
o Packaging outline development
o Loading Drawing
o Approving Specifications
o Issuing Standards
• Manage projects through Technical Packaging to ensure design and construction meets all Estee Lauder engineering requirements.
• Develop and implement package test plans for all projects.
• Work with Manufacturing and Quality Engineering to define specifications, design criteria and defect ranges to ensure optimal process flow from manufacture of components through filling and assembly.
• Develop package specifications and validate that technical drawings clearly identify all aspects required to define the package.
• Ensure all projects are completed and meet the intended design, quality, cost, functionality, and manufacturability objectives.
• Ensure component production and filling/assembly are operating efficiently at optimal rate of production.
• Ensure that packages/components meet the needs of the Brand, corporation, Regulatory and Environmental Legislation, and consumer safety.
• With the assistance of senior development, provide detailed component timelines including all package development tasks and manage them.
• Support Global Brand Supply Chain (GBSC) and Global Supplier Relations (GSR) with package development schedules and identify risks or ways to mitigate risks to support a component availability requirement.
• Identify and inform GBSC and GSR of any risks and or delays during the course of development.
• Establish workload priorities to ensure all projects are managed within expected due dates.
Direct and Indirect Management
• Communicate and work closely with all development groups including Marketing, Product Development, R&D and Design.
• Work with Package Operations to generate outlines efficiently and process artwork correctly and effectively.
• Work with GBSC and GSR to manage specific project development and provide detail analysis on risk when required.
• Build and cultivate relationships with Global Manufacturing and Manufacturing Engineering.
Education, Direct Experience and Technical Skill:
Education / Certification
• Minimum BS degree in Packaging Science or Engineering preferred
• CIPT Certification preferred
• 3 + years experience in Package Development, Quality Assurance, Manufacturing or Package Testing lab in cosmetics or related industry.
• Experience in beauty or related industry in a technical capacity.
• Capable of generating components and assemblies using 3D CAD a plus.
• Proficiency in computer systems including Package Definition Systems, MS Excel, Word, Outlook and Timeline management systems.
• Technical competency in analysis of geometric objects in 2 and 3 dimensions including understanding of clearances, fit and finish of packaging components and subcomponents.
• Basic knowledge of materials used in the construction and manufacturing of primary, secondary and tertiary packaging including but not limited to:
• Injection molding.
• Extrusion molding.
• Metal forming.
• Glass forming.
• Vacuum forming.
• Assembly of components.
• Dispensing systems (Pump, Airless).
• Folding carton and rigid box design.
• Basic knowledge of decorating techniques and materials used on primary, secondary and tertiary packaging.
• Basic knowledge of test methods used to validate component/package performance.