Our Fortune 500 client, a leader in banking technology, is seeking a User Experience (UX) Researcher for their User Experience team in their Manhattan, New York City location. This User Experience Researcher opportunity is contract to hire, 40 hours a week, health benefits and 401K offered.
We are looking for a creative and resourceful Digital User Experience (UX) Researcher with strong design research skills. Naturally, we want someone who can think outside (and inside) the box and provide fresh thought leadership, but we are also looking for an individual who will complement the team in ways we haven’t even imagined. If you can explain why you’re that person, we want you!
This UX Researcher opportunity focuses on qualitative user research and is all generative work. The project could start in discovery phases, but is absolutely concept formation. As a User Experience (UX) Researcher you will be responsible for scoping and crafting research strategy, conducting research, and delivering actionable insights for a variety of digital projects. You must be able to demonstrate experience and expertise planning, leading, and executing user research programs and demonstrate a higher than usual degree of user empathy, and will be able to tell a compelling story about the motivations and intentions of our users, inspiring all stakeholders towards “Aha!” moments. You will be able to take sometimes, fuzzy-headed notions and craft those into solid, testable research hypotheses around which you will design and deliver the appropriate research.
Simply put, we are looking for someone with extensive research experience, a towering intellect, uncompromising talent, and supreme organizational ability. And of course, you have to be fun to work with and get along well with mostly really cool people. In a nutshell, we want to out-distance the competition and vastly improve any customer tool, application, or web/mobile property we touch.
UX Researcher Responsibilities:
- Take a question or a problem and be able to translate it into a testable hypothesis, complete with a specific method and tasks that illuminate the heart of the issue.
- Be able to quickly understand the needs of our internal clients, especially as they relate to who their users are and what questions they really need to have answered.
- Develop research strategies and proposals and execute on time and on budget.
- Provide design recommendations with firm conviction and a gentle touch, while carefully reading people so you’ll always know the right balance of each.
- Electrify project teams with concise reports and brilliantly prepared presentations under tight deadlines while juggling six balls (and a chain saw) with the other hand.
- “Synergize” with our exceptional interaction and visual designers to further improve information architecture, site navigation, labels, and other design elements.
- Perform other miracles and mythic feats as assigned, then figure out what else needs to be done.
UX Researcher Key Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of user experience research tools and techniques (e.g. field research, heuristic reviews, usability testing, benchmarking, card sorts, lo-fidelity prototyping methods, etc.), and know the strengths and weaknesses of each.
- Independently scope and plan a research program (can include multiple projects with multiple related studies), consulting with relevant stakeholders and team members.
- Conduct competitive and comparative research and analysis to complement user research.
- Leverage heuristics, VoC, statistical analyses, and other insightful methods to triangulate user pain points.
- Ability to connect research findings from multiple projects/sources and provide insights on a higher order.
- Confidently apply a range of frameworks to synthesize and solve research problems.
- Experience planning and facilitating workshops (hypothesis, concepting, design-thinking, insights) with stakeholders to facilitate the design process.
UX Researcher Qualifications:
- 3+ years of user experience with multifaceted responsibilities. We prefer a mix of web and mobile experience. An interest in or experience with the personal finance/investing space is a bonus!
- Related experience in another field such as interactive design, information architecture, and/or market research is a plus.
- Strong understanding of user interface design practices and principles a must, better still if you can demonstrate experience relating to research.
- Strong project management, strategic, and negotiating skills are central to the position.
- Strong communication, critical thinking, and creative problem-solving skills required. Your ability to demonstrate success in these areas should quickly become obvious.
- Ability to communicate research results, graphically depict data, and justify methods and approaches, orally and in writing.
- Strong moderation skills and methods for group facilitation and consensus building.
- Ability to work independently, in a team, and with or without direction is imperative.
- Knowledge of OvoStudios, Morae, Photoshop, SharePoint, Visio, iRise or other prototyping tools are additionally advantageous.