Job Title: User Experience Hybrid
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The User Experience Hybrid (Design and Research) fully understands the business, operations, and marketing strategy and ensures implementation of useful, usable, and delightful user experience across all our digital products. This role leads UX research and UX design for systems used in manufacturing plant-floor and control-room environments. The UX Hybrid plans and executes user research to understand and advocate for users of manufacturing technology systems— which may include contextual inquiry, observation, and usability testing. This role then translates those research findings into actionable designs that fit the user’s mental model, not the system model, and creates visualizations of data that support the day-to-day operations of manufacturing facilities.
They work closely to align with business stakeholders, teammates in GIS and Advanced Manufacturing, and/or outside partners to identify and/or select optimal solutions to digital initiatives or problems. They research and prototype testable solutions to achieve a shared understanding and ensure user needs are met.
The UX Hybrid provides overall strategy and designs for the user experience of the businesses advanced manufacturing systems. They work with developers to implement and validate designs, keeping an eye on best practices and are building a common visual language / UI components (e.g., Design System) across all plant-floor systems. Throughout their work, the UX Hybrid looks for opportunities to maximize research and design impact while minimizing expense and building sustainable, reusable foundations for future Advanced Manufacturing systems. In collaboration with UX and technology teams, they help define patterns, standards, set direction, provide guidance to other user experience designers, and ensure uniform application of design standards in the projects and platforms provided by the Customer Experience COE and Advanced Manufacturing.
They participate in the agile development decisions that lead to viable product iterations and satisfied customers through early and continuous delivery of valuable software. They are a highly skilled communicator, technically proficient in all areas of interaction design, and skilled in user research and visual design.
- Understands the business strategy and business needs, and contributes to identification and refinement of overall solution strategy, proactively identifying technology-enabled opportunities to successfully meet or exceed business goals
- Provides broad based strategies for information architecture, usability, and digital solutions design based on tested solutions and industry best practices.
- Actively participates in all phases of the project lifecycle to ensure that proposed and implemented solutions are in alignment with business objectives, user needs, and UX strategy.
- Understands users; participating in UX Research and facilitating sessions with users to deepen understanding of their needs and identify ways to improve their experience; fosters team to continuously increase/update understanding through interviews, tests, and other research methods.
- Participates in or leads workshops with users, business, and technology to clearly identify and understand the problem and articulate the outcomes. Ensures the team has evaluated the solution to be useful, usable, feasible, and delightful.
- Participates in or leads sessions with the team to develop requirements and workflows, prototype solutions; establishes personas; identify all functionality, business rules, data needs from user’s perspective; writes/addresses use cases, leverages and may create content assets.
- Facilitates compliance with corporate, brand, digital, and legal standards and ensures visual and behavioral consistency in developed system
- Ensures communication across user experience, development, 3rd parties and technology teams for relevant UX projects and technology rollout
- Monitors and evaluates emerging UX technology trends, competitive developments, best practices, and other related information that would prove valuable to improving the businesses digital presence.
- They collaborate intensively with other teammates, assists, others, and adheres to team practices. Actively contributes improvements to designs, processes, tools, content/data management, testing and other practices.
- Participates in crafting a broad-based strategic vision for web technology investments to drive long term improvements.
- BA or BS, preferred in HCI, UX, or Information Services; or relevant experience
- 1-3+ years of recent, direct, relevant experience translating business & user needs into digital user designs
- Working knowledge of design tools, such as Axure, Sketch
- Strong understanding of usability testing methodologies
- Working knowledge of web and design tools such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator
- Outstanding interaction design skills, with demonstration of previous interaction work
- Highly skilled with multiple design techniques, such as wireframes, storyboards, and rapid iterative prototyping
- Strong advanced manufacturing acumen and demonstrated passion for digital technology solutions and the role they can play in increasing user efficiencies
- Demonstrated experience working with full product development life-cycles, preferably experience working in an Agile or Scrum environment
- Demonstrated understanding of digital technologies and how they may be applied to meet user and business needs
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability and willingness to mentor others and advance own skills in design and rendering tools
- Strong understanding of usability testing methodologies
- Superior presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Broad understanding of best practices in user application, marketing automation and web design and development processes
- Familiar with user-centered design methodologies and agile/rapid development processes
- Compelling portfolio that demonstrates a breadth of design projects and skills
- Ability to work with diverse project teams and across functional areas
- Ability to brainstorm solutions to complex business challenges
- Ability to see the big picture and develop appropriate strategies and plans for execution
- Highly organized, flexible and able to structure and estimate work
- Must be able to work on multiple projects and under pressure and tight deadlines