Design Director, Packaging & Visual Merchandising
The primary role of the Design Director, Packaging and Visual Merchandising is to lead the design direction and evolution of beauty brand in both Packaging and Visual Merchandising. The Design Director must be an innovator and artist with an elevated approach to manifesting the brand’s edgy DNA through packaging and in-store/in-salon touch points that is both compelling and digestible.
- Lead packaging design direction and evolution for the client brand.
- Lead and direct visual merchandising for salon, specialty-multi retail channels as well as guide the presentation of client for network salons.
- Create innovative, social-ready 3D designs and package design layouts, to help drive overall brand strategy
- Ensure continued innovation, while in adherence to brand guidelines Industrial Design
- Leads team in concepting and ideating product designs (primary packaging) in line with ELC needs and market trends
- Collaborate with product development, product marketing and packaging to create highly desired designs Retail Experience
- Design across various consumer touchpoints, including salon, online, specialty-multi and open-sell.
- Strong focus on social/e-commerce when it comes to packaging design.
- Ensure to always have “finger on the pulse”.
- Thinks outside of the box and leverage knowledge of competitive landscape and trends.
- Differentiated, innovative packaging with an understanding of how to design packaging for a mobile-first world.
- Industrial design capabilities.
- Visual Merchandising experience.
- Artistic backgrounds in areas like sculpture (nice to have)
- Keen understanding of current trends in beauty, fashion, design, pop culture and emerging technologies.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to deliver innovative designs. Able to create something out of nothing.
- Collaborative attitude: Eagerness to work with cross-functional creative, marketing and other teams. Willing to roll up sleeves and dive in on a variety of projects small and large.
- Can-do attitude and creative spirit.
- 8-10 years of related experience with strong design background including visual merchandising, concept development, art direction, production, print design and typography (experience in beauty, fashion or hair is a plus)
- Lead and inspire a team of print, packaging and visual designers.
- Must tell a cohesive brand story across touchpoints (requires close partnership with the Design Director 360 Campaign)
- A keen understanding of visual communications in specialty-multi.
- An online portfolio or samples of work demonstrating relevant work experience.
- Excellent visual design aesthetic
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to quickly turn around detailed comps/mockups in an iterative environment
- Unwavering attention to detail and a strong sense of ownership
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills
- Proven ability to work cross-team, lead the design process, and synthesize feedback and input from stakeholders
- The ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, and multitask