Senior Media Communications Specialist
Consults on and/or provides development and implementation external public relations/communications strategies, plans and programs in support of Division, Service Area and facility business. Communication strategies, facilities, departments and disciplines to achieve organization objectives and develop positive relations with stakeholders. Serves as project lead on high priority assignments/programs.
- Develops and implements communications plans linking organizational goals with communication objectives, strategies, messages and vehicles.
- Fosters and maintains media relations, including for crisis situations.
- Develops strategies, key messages and vehicles for communication to support specific program and issues.
- Participates in the development and execution of organization initiatives by serving both as communication strategist and technician.
- May serve as spokesperson to external audiences.
- Researches, writes, edits articles, internal/external publications, and other communication documents.
-Daily media pitching of relevant health topics that tie into organizational goals and successful story placement in Southern California media outlets.
- Mentors/coaches public affairs staff at direction of manager.
- Develops training modules.
- Manages freelance workers as appropriate.
- Minimum five (5) years of external communication experience in a corporate, agency or health care setting.
- Bachelor's degree in public relations, communications, journalism or related field OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Knowledge of media and communication vehicles including print, radio, and electronic media.
- Excellent verbal communication, writing and editing skills.
- Excellent project management and consulting skills.
-Strong AP-style writing, quick grasp of details.
- Able to link organization objectives to communication planning.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Strong media pitching skills and successful story placement in Southern California and/or key media outlets in other markets.
-Ideal candidate will understand the synergy between internal and external communications and has the ability to get the big picture of how major initiatives support each other and underscore organizational strategy.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Social media experience
- Professional with in-house corporate experience at a large organization.
- Ability to work effectively with senior leadership and build relationships in highly-matrixed environment.