Aquent Content Design & Development (CDD) Documentation Team
Summary Aquent Studios employs Technical Writers, also known as Information Developers, to work on projects for our clients. These people report to our managing director and are accountable to our project managers. The Technical Writer develops, writes and edits documentation, web information, and service and support content for our customer.
New writers on the CDD project generally require six months to gain an understanding of the tools, processes, and content before being able to work more independently. The CDD work is project based and the hours are variable. During the initial training period the technical writer is expected to work from the Aquent office. Once trained the project could allows some flexibility to work off-site if all commitments and deadlines to the client are met.
The Technical Writer provides creative ideas and innovations to the Aquent CDD team to gain a competitive advantage for both Aquent and the client. This individual works on complex projects and occasionally may be a mentor to other members of the technical writing staff. The Technical Writer is able to take on any task or project with minimal supervision and to complete it. He/she also demonstrates heightened maturity and judgment in approaching his/her assignments..
Duties and Responsibilities
● Writes content relating to computer technology and peripherals, focusing on consumer audience requirements.
● Exhibits an excellent customer service attitude at all times.
● Works on large and complex technical writing assignments with minimal supervision.
● Demonstrates advanced skills and understanding of technical communication, has knowledge in multiple areas of the technical industry and grasps new technical information with minimal guidance.
● Develops and writes outlines, drafts and final deliverables for review by the customer.
● Maintains detailed knowledge of relevant style guides.
● Aligns with the goals, strategies and objectives of both Aquent and the customer and works to ensure those directives are met.
● Strives to become an “information expert” on the product or functionality being documented and provides recommendations and ideas to the Aquent project team on presentation, structure and organization of the materials.
● Contributes to project status reports, manages hours, and scope changes for projects as requested.
● Resolves project issues effectively and successfully with project personnel.
● Proactively informs the Project Manager and/or Resource Manager about project status, issues or concerns, including issues of scope, schedule, process, and quality.
● Adheres to quality assurance (QA) process identified by the client and/or by the Aquent Resource Manager or Project Manager.
● Takes ownership of all interim and final deliveries; e.g., makes sure deliverables conform to set standards, etc.
● As appropriate, provides input and recommendations to the Project Manager regarding project improvements, process improvements, organizational strategies and direction, new technologies and tools.
● Maintains list of outstanding questions or issues that relate to the content of the document being developed.
● Actively documents any new processes that come up during projects.
● Keeps current on tools and processes used by our clients.
● Analyzes customer information requirements and product specifications to define technical content strategy and plans.
● May direct and lead the work of others.
● Participates in the lessons-learned process and ensures that improvements are incorporated into subsequent programs.
● Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
● Master’s degree in related field (optional).
● Excellent writing and editing skills.
● Understanding of software (drivers, installers, utilities), product development, product integration.
● Proficient with computer applications and languages, such as XML (DITA), SDL/Tridion, MS Word, and Excel.
● Excellent client communication skills.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills.
● Experience working in the high tech industry working with multi-faceted, technically complex projects which have required interaction with numerous people.
● Proven collaborative skills in a virtual and in-office team environment.
● Ability to work in a team-writing environment.
● Basic understanding of mark-up language (HTML or XML) and content management concepts.
● Knowledge of writing with localization in mind; that is, understands the dynamics that impact the translation and localization process.
● Experience with some type of content management system is desired.
Experience working with Arbortext Editor preferred