The Marketing Operations, Customer Data Steward is a key leader within the Marketing Operations team and is responsible for defining the customer data management strategy for Staples, and ensuring the execution of, initiatives related to all aspects of Customer data management: Define taxonomy, customer data cleanse, unification, governance, measurement and continuous improvement. This role is strategically focused on the governance and management of customer data across Staples and requires providing solid support to the Marketing leadership in driving alignment on common definitions, business rules and usage and thereby creating a culture of customer data stewardship at Staples to drive incremental value to the customers through more effective and data driven modern marketing.
• Customer data management strategy
• Define the strategic agenda for customer data management
• Establish a clear and concise customer data management process at Staples and align all stakeholders across different functions and departments at Staples
• Define the data acquisition strategy to ensure that desired levels of depth, breadth and quality are achieved within defined timeframe.
• Taxonomy development and implementation
• Define an architecture to develop a common customer taxonomy and definitions including Customer Contacts, Accounts and Activities (Engagement as well as transactions) data sets.
• Align the architecture with all Staples stakeholders (website ops, sales ops, IT, product/merchandising etc.) and develop a modern, detailed and relevant customer data taxonomy defining all fields representing a customer’s demographic, firmographic information as well as all interactions/behaviors with Staples
• Establish business rules that dictate the ingestion, modification, storage and disposition of customer data sets meeting Staples customer-centric growth objectives
• Closely partner with the IT department to align Taxonomy to the current state of customer data with a clear visibility and target of future data state
• Partner with the IT department to translate Customer taxonomy into data models to deliver the Single View of the Customer and then coordinate the validation and UAT of data transition from current databases to the future state customer data ware house.
Customer data management execution
• Partner with other functions (IT in particular) to implement the customer data management process in its entirety including all phases: Define, cleanse, unify, govern, measure and audit for continuous improvement
• Establish clear cadence for identification of data cleanse and quality improvement opportunities and coordinate the implementation with other functions (IT in particular)
• Prioritize initiatives and maintain a roadmap for customer data management improvements
• Create the measurement plan for data management, including database readiness metrics and metrics that capture the impact of database readiness on downstream marketing processes
• Establish a customer data health dashboard to represent the true health of customer data at Staples to show readiness as well as output
• Proactively communicate data management status, progress and success
Innovation and Change
• Be the change agent across Staples to drive common understanding of Customer taxonomy, definitions and business/access rules for customer data sets
• Use innovative data management concepts to minimize implementation time
• Work with Internal & External Customers / Suppliers as well as Third Parties to develop and align on customer data management strategy
• Establish ongoing coordination with Web, sales operations and IT teams to ensure visibility into changes to data and architecture to ensure alignment toward pristine health of ready and active Customer data
• Independently manage the business needs for Marketing agencies providing external data feeds, consulting partners providing industry benchmarks, best practices and case studies to solve complex data management issues.
• Lead a team of 2-4 customer data specialists or data stewards ensuring timely execution of Customer data management priorities
• Fully responsible for hiring, coaching, performance management and firing decisions for data specialist or data stewards
• Develop a dynamic staffing model to augment full time staff with needs-based availability of a contractor pool from which trained resources can be brought on board to contribute to specific data management projects to define needs, validate and test the implementation and train the marketing users on changes
Key Performance Indicators
• Customer database quality (completeness, validity, freshness)
• Number of accounts or contacts in database
• Number or percentage of database growth for target markets and personas
• Improvement in speed-to-market for marketing initiatives through less time and effort spent in customer segmentation, personalization and targeting
• Decrease in data management cost through elimination of manual processes for customer data clean up
• B.S./B.A. degree, ideally in computer science, marketing or business.
• 10+ years of experience in marketing including minimum 3 years of experience with data management and reporting for data-driven marketing organizations.
• Proven experience driving data quality initiatives, joining data from disparate systems and finding new ways to provide data consumers easy access to the information they need
• Ability to work with business owners and data consumers to de ne data and reporting requirements
• Ability to work independently and influence other stakeholders to create alignment on complex topic with often opposite viewpoints
• Ability to provide a vision and act as an advocate for data management
• Must have thorough understanding of Current data cleansing, warehousing and unification strategies and tools to apply that knowledge in defining future state of customer data definitions and taxonomy
• Must have solid multi-year experience effectively partnering with IT organizations to ensure implementation of marketing/business needs within strict time constraints
• Proven experience leading teams to
o Creative problem solver with high attention to detail and must be comfortable working in cross-functional and heavily matrixed environment
o Must be customer-centric in thinking with process-orientation and solid understanding of customer lifecycle to drive implementation of customer data strategy across the organizatio
• Knowledge of these marketing tools and technologies are needed to be successful in this role:
o Marketing and sales automation platforms
o Business intelligence tools
o Data modeling and analytics tools
o Content management/Web content management/Digital media and social media tools