- New York City, New York
- Job Terms:
- Start date:
- posted by:
- Janna Karstens
Our Fortune 500 client, a leader in banking technology, is seeking a User Experience (UX) Researcher for their User Experience team in their Manhattan, New York City location. This User Experience Researcher opportunity is contract to hire, 40 hours a week, health benefits and 401K offered.
As a User Experience Researcher you will be responsible for scoping and crafting research strategy, conducting research, and delivering actionable insights for a variety of digital banking projects and will be able to demonstrate experience and expertise planning, leading, and executing user research programs. In a nutshell, we want to out-distance the competition and vastly improve any customer tool, application, or web/mobile property we touch.
User Researcher Responsibilities:
- Take a question or a problem and be able to translate it into a testable hypothesis, complete with a specific method and tasks that illuminate the heart of the issue.
- Be able to quickly understand the needs of our internal clients, especially as they relate to who their users are and what questions they really need to have answered.
- Develop research strategies and proposals and execute on time and on budget.
- Provide design recommendations with firm conviction and a gentle touch, while carefully reading people so you’ll always know the right balance of each.
- Electrify project teams with concise reports and brilliantly prepared presentations under tight deadlines while juggling six balls (and a chain saw) with the other hand.
- “Synergize” with our exceptional interaction and visual designers to further improve information architecture, site navigation, labels, and other design elements.
- Perform other miracles and mythic feats as assigned, then figure out what else needs to be done.
User Researcher Key Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of user experience research tools and techniques (e.g. field research, heuristic reviews, usability testing, benchmarking, card sorts, lo-fidelity prototyping methods, etc.), and know the strengths and weaknesses of each.
- Independently scope and plan a research program (can include multiple projects with multiple related studies), consulting with relevant stakeholders and team members.
- Conduct competitive and comparative research and analysis to complement user research.
- Leverage heuristics, VoC, statistical analyses, and other insightful methods to triangulate user pain points.
- Ability to connect research findings from multiple projects/sources and provide insights on a higher order.
- Confidently apply a range of frameworks to synthesize and solve research problems.
- Experience planning and facilitating workshops (hypothesis, concepting, design-thinking, insights) with stakeholders to facilitate the design process.
- Ability to mentor and lead other researchers.
User Researcher Qualifications:
- 5+ years of user experience with multifaceted responsibilities. We prefer a mix of web and mobile experience.
- Related experience in another field such as interactive design, information architecture, and/or market research is a plus.
- Strong understanding of user interface design practices and principles a must, better still if you can demonstrate experience relating to research.
- Strong project management, strategic, and negotiating skills are central to the position.
- Strong communication, critical thinking, and creative problem-solving skills required. Your ability to demonstrate success in these areas should quickly become obvious.
- Ability to communicate research results, graphically depict data, and justify methods and approaches, orally and in writing.
- Strong moderation skills and methods for group facilitation and consensus building.
- Ability to work independently, in a team, and with or without direction is imperative.
- Knowledge of OvoStudios, Morae, Photoshop, SharePoint, Visio, iRise or other prototyping tools are additionally advantageous.
Our client is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.5 trillion and operations worldwide and serves nearly half of America's households with a broad range of financial services, including personal banking, credit cards, mortgages, auto financing, investment advice, small business loans and payment processing. Our client is undertaking an aggressive digital transformation agenda, which builds on the success of the current mobile and online service offerings. They are investing in innovative ways to deepen customer engagement and profitability through the use of digital channels. The ambitions is to position themselves as the undisputed leader in digital financial services and payments and offer personalized, real-time services to customers in consumer and commercial banking.