Under the direction of the Director – Product Development & Design, the Designer will complete tasks as assigned in the areas of product design, visual merchandising and showroom design. This role is responsible for executing assigned design projects in the areas of product and showroom design from inception to completion. This position is responsible for communicating with and coordinating the efforts of many different people and departments within and outside of the organization.
- Participate in the new product development and design review process. Execute designs related to product strategies identified in the 36-month New Product Schedule (NPS).
- Support the product development process from design concept stage through production, working within established processes, time frames and budget constraints on assigned product lines or projects.
- Partner with product management team to understand performance of assigned products, forming conclusions and lessons learned to drive continuous improvement of new product development.
- Partner with outside designers and third party suppliers as assigned to drive completion of assigned product development projects.
- Drive innovation in showroom design, through creative development of showroom model, displays and technology.
- Identify appropriate material selection for showroom installations (floorpads, surface, plumbing materials), ensuring targeted approach based on understanding of market, sales and competitive analysis.
- Develop compelling product displays for showrooms and dealers, supporting key initiatives including new product launches.
- Ensure appropriate documentation of all assigned projects, within the scope of company standards.
- Interpret, organize and execute the conceptual design of an assigned product or project.
- Utilize creative and technical ability to meet project objectives and balance key considerations including aesthetics, function, cost, and time to market.
- Demonstrate understanding of the target consumer and the consumer shopping experience, especially key A&ID specifiers, so that functional, aesthetic and cost needs and objectives are incorporated into the design process.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university, plus related experience (minimum 2 years) in a design-based role: product, graphic, visual, communication, or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A portfolio showcasing excellent skills in design
- Strong creative ability, generating many diverse ideas for a design problem within a specified timeframe; identifying creative alternatives or approaches to consumers’ needs.
- Experience with design tools such as AutoCAD, Sketch-Up and Revit.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple ongoing projects, efficiently communicate progress, and manage expectations towards milestones
- Demonstrated development of business and financial acumen, ability to balance design requirements with business strategic and financial plan objectives.