Production Designer Skills
A creative thinker with an eye for design, a successful Production Designer has excellent visual awareness and design skills. They are self-motivated with the persistence to gain work and follow-through. Above all, Production Designers are leaders, who can manage a team and carry a design project from start to finish, meeting tight deadlines. In addition to these general skills and personality traits, employers are seeking Production Designer candidates with the following skills.
Core skills: Based on job listings we looked at, employers want Production Designers with these core skills. If you want to work as a Production Designer, focus on the following.
- Working knowledge of the visual arts and production processes and theories
- Sketching ability, and ability to communicate ideas through drawings and models
- Ability to solve problems and be resourceful and adaptable
- Ability to plan, schedule and monitor progress across of a large project
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and computer aided design programs (CADS)