Thermo Fisher Scientific is seeking a detail-oriented Associate Technical Writer to assist with development of new user manuals, and to update and rebrand existing user manuals, for instruments and software within Thermo Fisher's microbiology division product portfolio, under the supervision of the Technical Communications team. Candidates must have exceptional attention to detail and work with a very high degree of accuracy. Candidates with a background in the life sciences are strongly preferred. Experience with topic-based authoring and DITA is desirable.
Duties: For the new user manuals
* Develop scientific/technical documentation for end users from information and data provided by engineers, R&D scientists, product managers, and other key business team members. Regularly interact with subject experts.
* Analyze information to accurately identify customer workflows.
* Organize content logically into single-purpose topics following DITA standards and department information models.
* Write clearly and concisely to meet the needs of the target audience.
* Manage and track team and legal reviews and approvals.
* Incorporate edits provided by team members; if necessary, interact with team members to resolve conflicting or ambiguous edits.
* Prepare files for document control, and track document release in document control system. * Handle multiple projects simultaneously.
* Deliver under tight deadlines.
* Follow all processes, style guides, templates, and brand guidelines.
* May involve working in Word or Inkscape. Additionally, for rebranding of existing user manuals * Prepare source files for XML/DITA conversion following written procedures.
* Send files for conversion and track files sent and received.
* Set up manuals in the content management tool using converted content and templates, following written procedures.
* Work in XMetaL and content management system on converted documents.
* Perform post-conversion quality checks following written procedures.
* Work with departmental illustrator to ensure that converted graphics are at departmental standards. Skills:
* Keen attention to detail and high regard for quality. * Strong project management skills and proficiency with Excel.
* Proficiency with XMetaL or SDL Knowledge Center 2016 desirable.
* Ability to quickly gain proficiency with XMetal and SDL Knowledge Center, and, if necessary Word and Inkscape.
* Ability to create PDFs using Adobe Acrobat.
* Ability to quickly learn other new processes and software tools as needed.
* Work with minimal supervision and manage time effectively.
* Excellent communication skills. Education: * Bachelor's degree in a scientific discipline strongly preferred.
* Experience in life sciences and/or biotechnology strongly preferred.