A uniquely challenging copywriting role that calls for extraordinary attention to detail and unerring precision in the craft of writing, combined with solid creative and marketing sensibilities. Translates key marketing objectives into exactingly accurate, effectively compelling copy for all written tactics, including but not limited to web — which includes an extensive e-commerce site — digital, email, print collateral, catalogs, event marketing, and packaging. Ensures that each business’ brand positioning follows corporate standards and is consistently articulated in all forms of written communication, while modifying the communication for a given channel application. Ability to multitask effectively under pressure and balance speed with quality while meeting strict timelines through the copy phases of research, concepting, writing, editing, and proofreading.
- Create innovative marketing communications across multiple channels consistent with brand and
- Develop copy that conforms to layout and other design parameters while maintaining the consistent
voice and style of each respective brand.
- Write creatively for headlines yet technically for product information to connect with customers, drive
sales, and advance company positioning.
- Brainstorm and develop creative concepts, both independently and collaboratively, that support
marketing strategies and integrated campaigns.
- Utilize internal content database as well as cross-functional teams to aggregate individual product
features, benefits, and claims when writing technical copy for collateral.
- Understand the messaging objectives and hierarchy as well as the visual theory and medium when
approaching the writing task; understand multiple communication mediums and best practices for each.
- Collaborate broadly — with teams that include Design, Content, Project Management, Production,
Portfolio Management, Merchandising, Legal and Scientific Affairs — to translate strategies outlined in
creative briefs into engaging concepts and copy for a range of clients, all while embracing recognized
- Proofread and edit the work of fellow writers and other stakeholders for content accuracy and
adherence to approved style, usage, and brand standards.
- Work on multiple concurrent projects, ensuring that deliverables are achieved on time while maintaining
the highest standards of quality and creativity.
- Continuously build institutional knowledge of the company, its products, and the markets it serves;
deepen understanding of competitors’ positions and practices in the marketplace; and stay current with
retail, style, and editorial trends to help inform/differentiate our own marketing communications.
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Science, Communications, English, Journalism, Advertising or similar plus 4-7 years’ related experience leading the marketing writing for a retail company and/or agency with a focus on both creative and technical writing; experience in a scientific field required (or an equivalent combination of education and experience).
- Exceptional writing skills demonstrating excellent grammar, attention to detail, and story construction
- Proven experience in writing both creative and technical copy for on- and off-line marketing collateral; ability to write clearly and concisely for defined target audiences.
- Successful track record of combining business objectives, design recommendations, and technical
constraints into a single, innovative, brand-right solution.
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex, abstract science-based subjects and express them in a straightforward, consumer-friendly way.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in one voice across multiple tactics.
- Working knowledge of marketing, graphic design, and information architecture.
- Excellent spelling, proofreading, and grammatical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively; strong presentation skills; and ability to stay positive
and respond well to critical and/or constructive feedback, including creative change requests.
- Candidate must have a proven ability to multitask effectively under pressure and deftly balance speed
with quality. Successful prior experience writing for an e-commerce website is strongly desired.