- New York (Mostly Remote)
- Job Terms:
- TBD, Based on Experience
- posted by:
- Haley Smith
We’re looking for an experienced storyteller who can manage strategic projects as an editor. You will be responsible for conceiving, assigning and editing content for general and highly targeted audiences. You should be organized, disciplined, entrepreneurial and curious, able to turn a high-concept project idea into a story or series of inspirational stories—or utilitarian, educational stories—across formats. We value experience because we’re competing with the best traditional publishers, and brands, to help our customers make the most of their money.
You’ll report to the Newsroom’s Managing Editor, and work closely with key stakeholders, including:
• Content strategists who manage the team’s relationship with various lines of business
• Creative lead, who helps develop visual content
• Executives across the broader organization (social media team members, and representatives from the Legal and Compliance departments).
You’ll also manage external creators and vendors. You must live in metropolitan New York City, so that you can build face-to-face relationships in the offices a few days each month.
Primary duties will include:
• Conceive and develop several high-impact content projects and series—across platforms and formats—each quarter
• Oversee the development of up to 25 stories each month, from concept to publication
• Manage business unit requests for content to support key initiatives
• Build, vet and manage a network of creators to develop stories, graphics, infographics and videos
• Field and vet story pitches from external and internal media partners – guided by data, and content produced by the best traditional publishers and brands
• Edit content produced by creators you directly manage, ensuring content with visual appeal. And, of course, accuracy, grammar, relevance and brand alignment
• Edit content produced by internal and external partners, including publishers and video production firms
• Other duties as assigned
The newsroom builds content about personal finance, small business, leadership and travel, for digital platforms that reach more than 50 million people every month. We’re passionate storytellers—a mix of trained journalists, graphic designers, data analysts, social media experts, and marketers. We strive to create business value through storytelling that resonates with a broad set of consumers. We create content for the company's sub-brands and business units – credit cards, Mortgage, Auto, Consumer Bank, Business—and work with some of the world’s most innovative, influential media companies. We deliver content across multiple digital channels, including chase.com, mobile, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
The newsroom is growing, and we’re looking for an experienced, entrepreneurial and enthusiastic editor to develop content mainly about personal finance, but also home buying, autos, travel, dining and leadership.
• Bachelor's degree—ideally in journalism, communications, marketing, business, or a relevant field—or equivalent experience
• 3+ years in an editorial management role at a traditional media company, branded content studio, or a brand
• 5+ years reporting or writing; experience writing about personal finance or business issues is a plus
• Experience conceiving and developing content – including big-picture series/projects—across platforms, for highly targeted audiences
• Proven ability to spot trends and issues facing our key audiences – and translating those insights into stories
• Experience recruiting, vetting and managing creators – writers, graphic designers, videographers, etc.
• Proven ability to prioritize and gracefully handle multiple projects
• Proven ability to develop editorial calendars, with a short- and long-term view
• Ability to handle the legal and operational constraints of creating content for a financial services company
• Proven ability to anticipate and mitigate risk