Position is in Englewood, NJ, but NYC office or the Bristol, PA office as secondary options.
Responsible for activities related to the design, space planning, and specifications of contract furniture, systems products, and interior furnishings and accessories including custom products and built-ins products. Develops and executes detailed space plans, specifications, bids and quotes to address customer space requirements within allotted time and budget constraints. Assists in training new interior designers and provides guidance to current interior designers and salespeople. Creating and delivering customer presentations including promoting the sale of interior design services. Actively participates in industry professional organizations to represent the company to the architecture and design, real estate and facilities markets.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities: %Time
1. Pre-Design and Programming : Using Consultative Design Skills, Interpreting customer needs through interviews, on site visits, meetings with client, assisting the client with scope clarification, budget development, project timeline expectations, project phasing, long range strategic design planning and the integration of design services with other consultants.
2. Conceptual and Schematic Phase: Creative and innovative design concepts that address user needs, work flow, brand identity, budgets, timeframes, integration of existing products, typicals and furnishing standards, building finishes and the integration of a cohesive design statement. Familiar with local and national codes and ADA.
3. Design Development: Space planning, furniture product selection and specification and application in AutoCad, Cap, Visual Impressions and other software tools as available. Moderate / advanced level of product specification and application knowledge.
4. Specifications and Quoting: Provides furniture specifications in form of CAP Worksheet.
5. Provide consultative design services including but not limited to producing 2D/3D drawings, specifications, and finish selections throughout the project opportunity.
6. Presents solutions to sales and client as required and coordinate work with internal clients.
7. Remain engaged throughout sales cycle up to order placement; providing project record keeping and storage of design document at project conclusion.
8. Promotes the sale of interior design services through consultative process in the sales cycle with supporting research and business case information.
9. Coordinates and attends all meetings and appointments timely.
10. Participates in continuing education and training as made available.
11. Provides oversight and review of design related to specification checks, code reviews, and coordination of details related to the project management requirements.
12. Coach and train other Interior Designers at Level 34.
Participates 15. Participates in industry organizations to represent the company within the Architecture and Design markets as well as as real est Real Estate and Facilities markets.
The preceding Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. This is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Essential Skills Required: In order of importance, list skills or talents which a qualified incumbent should possess (e.g., computer literacy, subject knowledge, etc.).
1. Must demonstrate a high level of thought leadership, design strategy and an overall understanding of the workplace.
2. Specific understanding and application of theories or principles of commercial interiors and business in general.
3. Excellent verbal and written skills; providing presentations at local & state levels as may be required.
4. Ability to work well under pressure, balance and prioritize multiple projects and adjust work accordingly, often against tight deadlines.
5. Skilled in design oversight and review relative to codes, prevailing laws, and constructability.
6. Skilled in AutoCad and Cap and other technical design programs.
7. Membership and active participation in any of the following professional organizations, IIDA, ASID, AIA, AAHID, IFMA.
8. Human relations skills required to motivate and influence internal and external clients.
9. Design Subject Matter Expert in one of the following: Workplace, Education or Healthcare sectors.
If an existing job, indicate reasons for re-evaluation, including new responsibilities, changes in nature//level of reporting relationships, new technology, reorganization of department, etc. For both existing and new jobs, outline information to support your grade level recommendation.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• 4 Year Interior Design Degree (CIDA accredited) OR
• 2 Year Interior Design Degree (CIDA accredited)
• 4-6 years post education work experience in the Design and Furniture Industry
• Membership and active participation in key Interior Design professional organizations such as IIDA, ASID, AIA, AAHID or IFMA.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to identify and distinguish colors.
• Ability to travel local, long distance and/or overnight.
• Traversing, bending and stretching to measure and evaluate spaces.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Office environments
• Healthcare environments
• Construction sites