You’ve branded your social media sites. You’re generating great content. Now what can you do to grow your social media following? Here are five tips for creating a thriving social media community.
- Identify niche audiences. For most brands, the best approach is to identify specific audiences within their customer set and build a community around their interests. Do market research to determine which would be the best niches to target. For example, a CPG company with a line of baby care products might create a Facebook site that appeals to young moms.
- Talk about more than your product. Social media is about building a community, not about pitching product. The Facebook page where new parents read parenting tips and can commiserate with one another will be more successful than the one that just talks about baby products.
- Share valuable content. Work with writers who understand your audience and what excites them. If your site contributors are enthusiastic about what they’re writing about, this will shine through.
- Streamline content approvals. Having content reviews is important with any information you’re disseminating, but streamline the process for social media content. If the content seems to polished or corporatized it won’t come across as authentic.
- Be authentic. Brands have trusted spokespersons that are authorized to speak to the media. They should have the same for social media sites: A handful of contributors who let their personality shine through. That’s one of the main appeals of social media—one person having a conversation with another. Brand that can speak in an authentic voice will be more successful at building their social media communities.